Who builds custom fork tubes??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who builds custom fork tubes??

I have a 1979 gs750 that I have done a 2001 GSXR fork conversion on and I don't like that the bike sits 3" lower in the front now. I haven't reassembled the bike after the fork conversion because I'm sure it will have an adverse effect on handling. Basically I'm thinking the way to go is to find some 45mm fork tubes (same diameter as the GSXR fork tubes) that are 2 1/2" to 3" longer than the stock GSXR forks and then just rebuild them from there. Any recommendations on where I can find custom fork tubes?? Thanks!

Best chance as far as the cycle world skuttle butt says....Wont be cheap though!!!!

Frank's Maintenance and Engineering, Inc., Evanston, IL, 60202, motorcycle fork tubes,forking by frank,german,japanese,spanish,chicago,motorcycle,forks,tubes,fork tubes,bikes,cycles,choppers,honda,suzuki,kawasaki,yamaha,bmw,triumph,bsa,norton,maico,harley davidson,, motorcycles,motorcycle parts,parts,engines
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Some where I read that 929 fork triple top will give added length Don't know for sure. Either way a custom triple would be cheaper than replacing the forks OR a screw in fork extension ???

Comment

15mm probably not enough for your application

Closer to what your looking for but less than attractive

Scroll to bottom for fork extenders. Cheaper but look dangerous.

Go to Google and type in GSXR Fork Extenders I know there are at least several other companies that do extenders and then there are multiple companies that do dropped Yokes like Warpspeed, visit OldSkool Suzuki
        Last edited by isleoman; 02-11-2012, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          Best chance as far as the cycle world skuttle butt says....Wont be cheap though!!!!

http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/
          Is forking by frank even still in business. I heard frank died sometime ago and his wife was still working the biz. But that was a few years ago.

Comment

Hey thanks for the quick replies! I had NO idea they made fork tube extender caps! That is probably the route I will go due to the ease and options. I have been unable to find anything for the gsxr fork in particular but I think if I can work out thread sizes and what not I will be able to find a match. If not I work with engineering software so I'm sure I can draw something up and have it machined. Just like everything else in life... it just takes money. Thanks again for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by T8erbug View Post
              I have a 1979 gs750 that I have done a 2001 GSXR fork conversion on and I don't like that the bike sits 3" lower in the front now. I haven't reassembled the bike after the fork conversion because I'm sure it will have an adverse effect on handling. Basically I'm thinking the way to go is to find some 45mm fork tubes (same diameter as the GSXR fork tubes) that are 2 1/2" to 3" longer than the stock GSXR forks and then just rebuild them from there. Any recommendations on where I can find custom fork tubes?? Thanks!
              I installed GSXR 1100 K RSU forks to a GS 1000 and had the same clearance issue
              Since then, I decided to extend the fork tubes by 10 cm ( to keep the clip-ons on top of the top yoke) but it has been a painfull experience both in terms of price and difficulty (http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=188127)
              You need to also consider the fact that the yokes on the modern Suzukis have much less offset.
              In practice this means that the trail will increase quite a bit IF the fork legs are kept as long as the original ones.
              More details on this subject here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=187018.
              And here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=187077
              The ideal I believe is to keep the front fork as short as possible wrt to ground clearance and lift the rear of the bike with longer shocks to get a rake angle in line with more modern Suzukis
              sigpicJohn Kat
              My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
              GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

These guys sell longer fork tubes, got my gixxer USDs extended by 30mm by them. Expensive, but nice and clean.

Wilbers Products - Performance Suspension since 1985

Highly recommended company on my side of the pond.

Comment

Here's how it looks like:

Comment

Was it just the sliders that are longer?
                    The Three Horsemen
                    '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
                    '83 GS1100ES
                    ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
                    Porkchop Express

Comment

Longer inner stanchions with all internals necessary.

Comment

The 929 triples must use upper and lower

The angle on the 929 stuff is at a different rake, so it's necessary to go with the upper, lower, and steering stem. They only work with GSXR 750 forks; I bought the 929 triples, then could not use them, as my GSXR forks are from a 1991 GSXR 1100.
                        1979 GS 1000

Comment

Lower the front and raise the rear seems to be what I have been hearing the most. I probably won't extend it quite up to stock height but I do think I will need at least an inch or two. Three seems to be an extreme I fear will be a bit crazy when I try to tune everything to the new set up. Plus while cornering I want to make sure I'm high enough all around to clear the crank cases. Ha I don't want to lever the rear wheel off the ground and high side... yikes. My biggest fear is creating a bike with worse handling than it initially had ha. I did some math and took some measurements and the offset on the new forks actually helps quite a bit. The new forks alone would have decreased rake quite a bit but the yoke offset helps put it back closish to where it was before. Thanks again so much for the help guys! I LOVE this forum

Comment

The larger dia. USD forks like the 92-95 GSXR1100 have less movement up and down than smaller dia. RSU forks, especially with stiffer springs installed.

So if your original forks provided 5.5 inches of clearance under the header you may be able to live (no pun intended) with less clearance (say 4"). This is mainly true for straight up and down approaches to speed bumps, pot holes and such.

Touching your outer cases, case guards and toes down in sharp corners won't be helped as much by this benefit with USD forks.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
                              The larger dia. USD forks like the 92-95 GSXR1100 have less movement up and down than smaller dia. RSU forks, especially with stiffer springs installed.

So if your original forks provided 5.5 inches of clearance under the header you may be able to live (no pun intended) with less clearance (say 4"). This is mainly true for straight up and down approaches to speed bumps, pot holes and such.

Touching your outer cases, case guards and toes down in sharp corners won't be helped as much by this benefit with USD forks.

My forks are actually from a 600GSXR so they are still RSD (I wanted to keep the look of the old skewl) BUT what you are saying still rings true because I'm pretty sure travel is still considerably less on the forks I have. I guess the only way to find out is just to get out and ride it. . and hopefully I can LIVE with the modifications made (pun cheesily intended haha). If it handles wierd I think cap extenders will do the trick

Comment

Working...
                              X