Rear Shocks for GS 850 GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Shocks for GS 850 GL

Anyone have a recommendation for a replacement set of rear shocks for an 82 gs 850gl. I have the original shocks on it now but am looking for someone who found a set that they feel are the best for comfort and ride.

I need to know what is the correct size or however they are measured, im not familiar with how to choose them.

thanks

Someone will be along soon to post the entire exhaustive list, but you sound like someone who would be very happy with a set of Hagon shocks.

Just call up Dave Quinn, answer a few questions about your bike, your weight, and your riding style. For around $200, he'll put together a set of shocks with damping and springs to suit you perfectly.

Note: be prepared to be amazed at the transformation...
    Last edited by bwringer; 02-20-2012, 12:15 AM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks for the info but his prices are way above what I can afford. I just basically need to know a stock size to compare to an aftermarket set. I have found a few sets but not sure if they are correct.

I would love to be able to spend money on parts that I know would greatly enhance the bike but money is tight and right now I need affordable parts to get her going.

Comment

If you don't want to spend $200 on shocks, you can pick up some of these off ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-GS850...item256743df3d for about half of that.

I guess your post is confusing. At first you say you're running the stockers, but want new shocks for comfort/ride. When you get pointed in the right direction, you say the price is too high, and you just need something to get the bike running.

If you want better shocks than you have now, it's going to run you $200. The Hagons are the cheapest 'custom built' shocks out there. You can't get shocks built-to-order for less.

If you need shocks to get the bike on the road, the ebay $100 shocks are the cheapest new shocks you can get. They have spring preload so you can adust the ride a little, but what you see is what you get.

If you flat out just need to get back on the road, used stock shocks off ebay are the bottom dollor. There no telling if they're shot, or leaking, but you can get them on your doorstep for under $50 if you shop around.

Comment

Brakes

Good post everyone and I'm glad I found this forum. Please read my post on GS1100L front brakes. I've already put $300 in rebuilding effort and still have soft brakes. I'll spend the required amount to safely stop this beast.

Thanks

Comment

Umm, tilly, are you sure you are posting in the correct thread?

avbove38, may I attempt to translate for you? You have found some dirt cheap shocks, but you do not know if they will fit your bike. You want to know the correct size and configuration for your bike to see if these dirt cheap shocks will fit.
            Since no one knows what these dirt cheap shocks are or even what they look like, we really cannot help on the ride and comfort except for the following:
            You get what you pay for.
            There are some vendors attempting to pass scooter shocks off as motorcycle shocks. Scooter shocks on a 560 pound motorcycle are not going to be very good, and won't last very long.
            Please don't take this the wrong way, but your original post requesting recommendations does not jive with your followup post that you have already found a few sets.
            If all you want to know is the size/configuration, go here and look up your bike: http://www.progressivesuspension.com/
            They will give you all the information you need. Best of luck.

Comment

Hi,

To the Original Poster, you'll want shocks that are in the neighboorhood of 330mm-335mm long (around 13 inches "eye to eye"). You can adjust the ride height a little with different lengths but be aware that it affects handling and ground clearance.

$200 is a good price for a decent ride. I have a pair of $90 MDI shocks on my bike. While they work OK they are sprung a bit stiffer than I'd like. I'm saving up for a pair of Hagons or Progressives.

EDIT: Speaking of an "exhaustive list", here is the list you received in your "mega-welcome":

**********Quoted from Mr. Griffin**********
              For suspension upgrades, the front end is pretty simple: Progressive brand springs and fresh 15W fork oil. (http://www.mawonline.com has pretty good prices on Progressive products.)

(If you need extra heavy spring rate for your forks (for bigger riders or heavy loads) try Sonic Fork Springs. There's an online tool for calculating the proper spring rate according to your bike, weight, riding style, etc.)
              The rear end isn't so simple.

Most of these brands are available in 'eye to eye' and 'eye to clevis' configurations, in different lengths for twin shock GS models. The options are arranged in order of price, low to high.

1. $65-$90 Emgo/MDI: Found all over ebay, and at about every vendor on the internet. General consensus of users seems to be that they are ok quality, but very stiffly sprung. Essentially the bare minimum option from stock. (For example, see: http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/rear_shocks.htm)

2. $120 Redwing: Evidently no longer made, they are still available at www.loudfastugly.com (and omarsdtr.com). I've not been able to find anyone who's actually used them, but they appear to be of halfway decent quality.

3. $210-$230 Progressive 12 Series: Lots of information here and all over the web about them. Most people seem happy with them, several different spring weights available. Available at most online retailers. www.denniskirk.com is a vendor I have had great luck with over the years.

4. $218-$270 Hagon Type A: Seem very similar to Progressive 12 series as far as owner satisfaction, quality of construction, and price. Available in the USA at www.davequinnmotorcycles.com

5. $320-$400+ Ikon 76 Series: Generally pretty highly regarded, lots of options available. From what I've read on the internet, they do seem to be more highly regarded than Progressive. Can be found at http://www.ikonsuspensionusa.com/servlet/StoreFront

6. $419-$589 Works Performance Steel Tracker: Very highly regarded, lots of positive reviews around the internet of Works Performance in general. Customer service (including rebuilding any brand of shock) is very highly rated. More info at http://www.worksperformance.com/html/home.html

There are other options available that can be more expensive, including offerings from Works, Ikon, Ohlins. White Brothers, once a powerhouse in the motorcycle industry, has ceased operations.

(Note from BassCliff: Also check out YSS Suspension at http://www.yssusa.com/products_yss.html.)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
              Last edited by Guest; 02-20-2012, 03:21 PM.

Comment

While I agree with your need to only spend what you have right now, how much are you really saving if you buy a cheap set now then buy another set later and another and so on? If need be, save up your money until you can afford to buy the right kind and your ride will be more enjoyable. I know you want to ride right now and it gets frustrating, but how frustrating will the ride with crappy stuff be in the meantime?
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

You mentioned "ride" and "comfort" in your post, so I ruled out the $80 MDI/Emgo/Chinese-name-of-the-day shocks.

The next step up is the Hagons for around $200 or a set of Progressive shocks and springs for slightly more money -- around $220-$240 total.

If instead price is your real priority, then the MDI/Emgo shocks will hold the rear end up in adequate fashion, but they are known to have a very stiff ride.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks for the info. Yes I was basically just looking for the correct size for the bike. I appreciate all of the recommendations too. Affordability is definitely a factor right now. I know buying a cheaper pair is not the best but I have to buy what I can afford now then save for something better later and the bike for the moment will be a daily driver so I need to get it on the road, not rushing it but its a necessity.

a stiffer ride isnt a big deal to me, I have ridden plenty of rigids and im sure it cant be any worse.

I will check out all the info from everyone. Thanks all!
                    Last edited by Guest; 02-21-2012, 10:38 AM.

Comment

I went with a set of Progressive 412 shocks for about 240 and I'm happy with them. They did push the rear wheel down a bit on the center stand but that's because they provide control through the entire range of swingarm motion. The stockers gave up as the wheel moved down. I no longer feel a squirm on turns over rough roads.
                      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                      X