GS850 brake disc doesn't fit hub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 brake disc doesn't fit hub?

Hi all, it's been six months since I bought a half-finished project GS850 bobber and now some nice weather is finally here it's time to finish it off and get it on the road!

The guy I bought it from has stripped many parts that I am replacing, indicators, rev counter, switchgear etc. When I got the bike it only had one front brake disc, on the right hand side of the wheel.

The brakes are not great so I have sourced a left hand front disc and caliper.

For some reason I can't get the disc to mount onto the wheel, it's as if the hole in the middle of the disc isn't big enough to fit over the hub.

Can anyone shed any light on where I'm going wrong here please? Should I just bore out the disc or have I got the wrong disc? Do they come in different sizes / specs? I bought the disc from the US via ebay, whereas it is a UK bike.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Hello mate. You must have bought the wrong disc as all the front discs from the whole GS / aircooled GSX range will fit at the hub.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

thanks for the reply, that may well be the case, although the disc fits perfectly on the right hand side and is visually identical to the right hand disc.

back to ebay for another one then!

Comment

Hold on - if it fits on the other side then there is something wrong with your wheel. The discs on both sides are identical and interchangeable (apart from the slotted discs will have the slots the other way round)
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

that would make more sense and yes the discs are identical apart from the slots being different, so I was fairly sure it was the right disc for the bike, it has L stamped on it whereas the other one has R. any ideas as to what the issue might be with the wheel, seems to be in very good condition, maybe that's why the last owner left the disc off, I just assumed he'd gone for a minimalist look!

Comment

How much is it not fitting by?
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

it's not far off, I could try some filing and a good dose of club hammer I guess, it's just that the hub doesn't look to be burred or corroded at all so I thought it should just go straight on like it does the other side. The side I'm having problems with is the speedo drive side.

Comment

here she is......

Comment

Originally posted by GS850bobber View Post
                  here she is......
                  Yeah, that's the bike, but we want to see the disc and the wheel to evaluate your problem. Big pictures
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

This may sound dumb but you took the speedo drive off yeah?

Comment

yeah, removed the speedo drive, am going to try again tonight, if no joy will take some close up pics and post them tomorrow. thanks for all the help!

Comment

Has the wheel been painted or powder coated?

You'll need to remove any coatings where the rotor mounts.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Its going to sound daft but the PO hasn't replaced the front wheel with a single disc'd wheel from a 550 or something stupid like that? It would explain why the disc wont fit onto the wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
                            Its going to sound daft but the PO hasn't replaced the front wheel with a single disc'd wheel from a 550 or something stupid like that? It would explain why the disc wont fit onto the wheel.
                            Doesn't sound daft, but all of the single rotor wheels were drilled both sides for dual rotors and a plastic "cap" was put on to cover the non rotor side. I converted a single disc 77 750 to dual and only had to change the fork legs out and pop that cap off the wire spoke wheel to add the second disc.

Comment

Believe it or not, embarrasingly it was a dust cover that was preventing the disc going on!! I blame having a garage with no light in it, either that or my general inability!!

Please see my most recent post for what is probably another very stupid question!

Thanks for all the fine suggestions, you all over-estimated me as it turns out!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X