Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to update my gsx1150es with gsx-r stuff. What fits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to update my gsx1150es with gsx-r stuff. What fits?

HEY GUYS IM A NEWBIE AND JUST ACQUIRED AN 85 GSX1150ES. I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED AN OLD SCHOOL MUSCLE BIKE, AND THIS ONE WAS AT THE TOP OF MY LIST. NOW THAT I HAVE THE BIKE I WOULD LIKE TO RUN WIDER RIMS AND TIRES (5.5 IN REAR) AND UPGRADE THE SUSPENSION A BIT. I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO ADD THE UPSIDE DOWN FORKS TO THE FRONT END, BUT CANT SEEM TO FIND SOLID INFO ON THE INTERCHANGE. I SEE ALOT OF GUYS DOING THIS TO THEIR BIKES BUT MOST ARE 1100'S AND I DONT EVEN KNOW IF THE 1100 AND 1150 DIFFER FROM ONE ANOTHER? I AM ALSO LOOKING TO UPGRADE THE REAR SWINGARM IF I HAVE TO (BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP THE STOCKER IF POSSIBLE) SO I WILL BE ABLE TO RUN A NICE WIDE TIRE OUT BACK (180) I WAS TOLD THAT I COULD FIT THE 5.5 INCH RIM OUT BACK WITH A 160 BY A VERY HELPFUL MEMBER THAT I HAVE BEEN CHATTING WITH FROM AUSTRALIA THAT HAS BEEN A CHOCK FULL OF KNOWLEDGE, AND HIS HELP HAS BEEN MUCH APPRECIATED, BUT I HAVE A TON OF QUESTIONS AND DONT WANT TO SCARE HIM AWAY YET, SO I DECIDED ON ASKING THE MASSES AS WELL LOL! HAS ANYONE DONE THIS CONVERSION TO AN 1150? IF SO, OR IF NOT, I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY HELP WITH THIS MATTER.

OH, ONE MORE QUESTION. IF I WERE TO TRY AND LOWER THE FRONT END WITH THE STOCK SUSPENSION TUBES, WOULDNT THE AIR CROSSOVER LINES AND MOUNTS WITH THE SCHRADER VALVE ON IT GET IN THE WAY AND HAVE TO BE REMOVED TO DO SO? IF SO, I WILL HAVE TO PLUG THE HOLES LEFT IN THE FORK TUBES AFTER REMOVAL RIGHT?

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!

Hello and Welcome

Firstly, just to let you know, DON'T USE UPPER CASE for typing your message, on the interweb it's considered SHOUTING.....and it also makes it really hard to read.

Have your tried the search function here on the site, it works really well, and will probably yield so good results

Anyways, good luck on your build, and have fun

Those with more info on your specific question will probably be along to answer

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
      Hello and Welcome

Firstly, just to let you know, DON'T USE UPPER CASE for typing your message, on the interweb it's considered SHOUTING.....and it also makes it really hard to read.

Have your tried the search function here on the site, it works really well, and will probably yield so good results

Anyways, good luck on your build, and have fun

Those with more info on your specific question will probably be along to answer

Cheers
      oops sorry about the caps. the other forums i belong to automatically change the case. i have been searching this forum for the last four days and while i have found alot of good info, i havent found the technical info i need. also, there are very few gsx1150's and i have no idea what interchanges from the 1100's. thanks!

Comment

no worries, you will probably see the order of the forum is probably backwards as well, this you will need to change on your own as well, go to User CP and and change the order of display...

There are a few guys who have done some conversions, I am sure they will be around soon to answer your questions

here is a few places to check out in the mean time

if you have not already...

Comment

thanks for all the help gatekeeper!

Comment

If it don't fit, make it fit.
            1978 GS550 E
            673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
            New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
            for playing in the dirt

Comment

im mainly just looking to find out what newer model bikes parts will interchange. i dont want to chop the bike up.

Comment

Most Suzuki stuff is 90% bolt on to your bike

With USD forks, you'll find that more of a challenge as they are generally 2" or so shorter

1995 and earlier stuff bolts on easier, post 95 needs more adaptation
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thank You! So im assuming the headsets use the same bearings up front up to 95? are the swingarms as adaptable too with the full floater rear? Sorry about all the questions guys and gals. This is a great forum and site! I am glad I joined

Comment

go here dude....

http://forum.oldskoolsuzuki.info/cgi-bin/Yabb/YaBB.pl goto the aircooled section....been done a million times ...even a tutorial for the 5.5 into the stock arm.

plus loads of info on all the mods to these machines you could possibly think of

check out the project threads ...its all there

Comment

Thanks saffa!

Comment

I'm looking for a way to fit a newer rear shock that is rebuildable but it's tight down there. If you find one let me know and I'll do the same for you. Welcome!!

Comment

Originally posted by cableguy View Post
                          I'm looking for a way to fit a newer rear shock that is rebuildable but it's tight down there. If you find one let me know and I'll do the same for you. Welcome!!
                          an 85 gsxr750 rear shock will work (i think its rebuildable) and it will lower the bike 2 inches as well if thats what your looking for. i also heard something about a ducati 600 rear mono shock that will work as well. nice bike btw. i took all my fairings off for the naked look. i will post some pics soon once i figure out what headlight and blinker combo im gonna use. are you upgrading your suspension, brakes and or tires and wheels? if so, what parts will you be using? Thanks!

Comment

I'm not planning on anything too radical appearance wise except paint. The old damper is shot, and I did put in a Ducati spring which helped but accentuated the lack of dampening. Maybe down the road I'll look into upgraded front end and a wider rear wheel but right I'm focused on the EF conversion and riding it

Comment

Working...
                            X