GS550C need help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550C need help...

Hello, i recently bought GS550ES front forks and of course it will not fit into my GS550C triple tree (because i dont do research before i bought it , my mistake). I need to change my current forks because it leak oil badly. Im also not sure whether my existing dual brake & disk brake can fit or not.
    What can i do to fix this problem Please advise...

Thanks in advance..,

Welcome and sorry to hear of your problem.

I need to change my current forks because it leak oil badly
    Why do you need to change the forks? Where exactly ar the leaks? Usually all you would need to do is change the fork seals. Could you please explain a bit more or better send us a picture?

Do You have a manual for your bike? If not BassCliff will be along shortly with his Mega Welcome and he will give you a reference to his site which contains all the manuals. Have a look in the manual and read up on changing the fork seals. There are also some tutorials on his site that will show you how.

Good luck with it.
    Cheers,
    spyug

Comment

Actually I think I read where BassCliff is taking Lent off of GSR so he might not be along soon. But yes, you SHOULD only need to change your seals unless there is damage to the fork uppers. Look for pitting in the travel area. Alpha-sports.com is a great resource for looking up part information (unfortunately for buying not so much due to price). They use real Suzuki part #'s, list part #'s even for discontinued items, and have a nice part # search to see what other models might use that exact part #. OEM seals have a great reputation.

Assuming yours is a GS550C and NOT a GS550EC, I would expect the same fork upper part #'s to be used on GS550B's or GS550N's (again, not EC or EN/LN models). But do not trust me to know that off the top of my head - it's your job to do the research...

Comment

In case Cliff doesn't show up in awhile here is his site with all the goodies: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ Hopefully you will find all the info you need on it.

Cheers,
        spyug

Comment

If your forks are badly pitted, I should have a pair of fork tubes that I could sell and ship at a fair price.
          PM if you need pic's and more info.

Daniel

Comment

The fork was badly rust and pitted when i bought the bike. Forks had been service with new forks seal, but still it vomit oil.... So i bought this GS550EF 85 forks without doing reseach first , (GS550EF-37mm but GS550C-35mm). Can i just change the triple tree with another model such as GS750ED because im using dual disk brake. please find the attachement below on my forks condition..

Comment

This is the bike, i just learn how to up load picture into the thread..,

if you can see from the picture, oil on the floor was from my forks and engine..,

This model year make 1977 but registered in 1978, cross check with the serial number the model was GS550C. Carb mikuni BS32SS with twin brake and rear drum brake. Im the 4th owner of this bike, the 3rd owner of this bike just chuck it infront of his house for 4 years (as he claimed)...

Pitted everywhere with scratch at inner side..

Comment

Probably 80-82 head/carbs on there. Kick start went away in 80. Unless Suzuki started using CV carbs in Malaysia before here in the US...

Comment

Can i just change the triple tree with another model such as GS750ED because im using dual disk brake.

Comment

Originally posted by hakim5857 View Post
                    Can i just change the triple tree with another model such as GS750ED because im using dual disk brake.
                    Yes, you can

However, while the steering stem should bolt right up, the fork stops (for steering) are probably different

If you buy a different set of forks, install the lower triple first and rotate it to see how far it turns, Then, you can modify if necessary.
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

There's other member here that rebor their GS550 triple tree 1mm to fit in the 37mm fork, im not confident to do it even my mech advised not to do so in term of reliability and safety.., Thanks Big T, i think im gonna buy the tripple tree now from ebay .

Comment

Ok, i do my window shopping at ebay and do some studies on fork 37mm diameters @ bikecliff. Below are the forks i bought GS550EF 85

and picture below triple tree from GS550L;

compatible? can be install to my GS550C? sorry in advance newbies...

Comment

Working...
                        X