Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS/GSX750 fork SWAP and keeping original wheels..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS/GSX750 fork SWAP and keeping original wheels..

Hi guys,

I've been searching on the forum, but couldn't my answer. I own 1981 suzuki gs/gsx750 (16 valve engine). It's gonna be cafe/bratstyle bike (pictures soon) and i'm stuck with the front fork issue. Mine's totally wasted, and i have to replace it with something else. I don't wanna use USD forks (i wanna keep kinda old school look), and i'd like to keep the original wheels: 19 on the front,and 18-rear (...well not exactly the stock ones. Front 1,85x19 would be replaced to 2.15x19 from gs 1100 regarding to bigger tire size..unless it's possible to put shinko 712 110/90/19 on the 1.85x19 rim??).
    The best (simply bolt on) solution would be buying gs 750/850/1000/1100 forks from late 70's or early 80's bikes, but they're not so easy to get here. Atm I can buy 1980 gs/gsx1100 forks, but they are leading axle type, like original ones, and i'm not sure if they match to this cafe look i wanna achieve.
    I can always try to go with gsx1100g or gsx1100f forks, but the axle is bigger.
    Could You help me out guys? What are my options?

Thanks a lot!!

Nicolas

You could fit first generation GSXR 750 forks.
    The early models had the same spindle diameter as the GS models.
    As the fork tubes are located further apart you will have to use spacers for the wheel but that should be easy.
    You will also have to build your own brackets to support the original calipers.
    The yokes will fit right in but you will have to build new lock stops.
    Nothing impossible but some work for sure
    Here's this fork hooked to my 1100 Kat.
    sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Thanks a lot for the info John Kat.
      There's plenty of gsxr forks on the market,so it shouldn't be a problem to find something interesting. I'm fully aware of some additional work with caliper mounting brackets and spacers. Like You wrote - nothing is impossible
      BTW, how's Your 1100 kat with the new forks handles now? Much better to the old ones?
      Thanks again!!

Comment

Working...
      X