Whick triple clamp for 37mm forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whick triple clamp for 37mm forks

I just picked up a clean set of used 37mm GS1100E forks to use on my 1978 GS750. Which triple clamp is the easiest to use? I found that most of the GS1000 models all have 37mm fork what do I need fof the swap?

Originally posted by rwcfrank View Post
    I just picked up a clean set of used 37mm GS1100E forks to use on my 1978 GS750. Which triple clamp is the easiest to use? I found that most of the GS1000 models all have 37mm fork what do I need fof the swap?
    You could use any of the triples so long as they're 37mm. You'll need new steering stem bearings and races though. I do believe I have a set of GS1100E triple clamps. Oh and I'm not sure it makes a major difference but early 1100Es had "leading axle forks" instead of end axle/straight forks. I don't see how, but I would wonder if trees from a leading axle set would be a problem with straight type. I don't think they would...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      You could use any of the triples so long as they're 37mm. You'll need new steering stem bearings and races though. I do believe I have a set of GS1100E triple clamps. Oh and I'm not sure it makes a major difference but early 1100Es had "leading axle forks" instead of end axle/straight forks. I don't see how, but I would wonder if trees from a leading axle set would be a problem with straight type. I don't think they would...
      I wouldn't mix and match leading axle trees with center axle forks or vice versa. People do on this list, but I think I would prefer to leave the Trail alone, rather than add or subtract.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
        I wouldn't mix and match leading axle trees with center axle forks or vice versa. People do on this list, but I think I would prefer to leave the Trail alone, rather than add or subtract.
        See that's sort of what I was thinking, but then again, the trees themselves don't dictate the trail so much as the angle of the steering mast right? It stands to reason that aside from offset, which are all relatively the same, the clamps don't know/care what angle they're at right?

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. I never considered the leading axle vs non, impacting the triples, I guess the offset could be different so I will stick with a 1000 triple that comes from an E model. Should I order the bearing sets by dimension rather than application? I think Allballs has dimensions listed on their site.

Comment

Working...
          X