Bleeding brakes after new pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bleeding brakes after new pads

I just got new pads for my gs450 front brake. When i put them in I had to compress the piston so they would fit on the rotor. While i was replacing them I messed with the banjo bolt near the reservoir, introducing quite a bit of air into the system. Now I'm trying to bleed the brakes, but i pump and pump and nothing happens, the brake fluid level doesn't drop. There is a small amount of liquid (about 2 inches) in the tube near the nipple that moves back an forth when I squeeze the brake lever with the nipple open. The pads show no progress in getting any closer to the rotor. Is there anything i am missing? Do i need a vacuum pump?

How about telling us what maintenance you have done to the brake system. Did you clean and rebuild the MC? If so, did you ensure that return port (real small, almost can't see it) is open by sticking a small wire through there? What are the lines like? Are they the old rubber or did you replace them with SS lines? Have you rebuilt the calipers and ensured all the gunk was cleaned out?

Check out Basscliff's page for more brake information http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Now i feel really bad, I haven't done any of that stuff. I just kept pumping for a while and now the brakes feel as they should, a little soft maybe. I put a zip tie on the lever to get any residual air out

Comment

You may want to flush the lines at some point or replace the them all together.

Comment

You need to bleed the brakes by applying the lever, opening the bleeder screw just a bit until the lever drops and then close the screw before the lever travels the full distance. Repeat this as often as needed and replenish brake fluid as it will drop with each cycle.
          NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
          Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Working...
          X