Lowering front end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowering front end

As some may know I am restoring/modifying an '82 GS1100G. In trying to get the look just right I am wondering about lowering the front end just a little - maybe an inch at most. My main concern is - is this safe?? I see that a lot of guys do this by raising the fork tubes in the triple trees. I know it is supposed to "quicken the steering" but I am looking at it purely from an aesthetic level.

I really like how the bike handles right now and don't really want to change that too much. Who knows - maybe I'll like it better? I imagine that Suzuki knew what they were doing when they designed this bike! I'm not a racer so lean angle is not too much of an issue.

So: Is it safe? Are shorter tubes available? Am I mad? (Actually don't answer that last one)

It is not adviseable. Lowering the bike on the fork (raising the tubes in the trees) as little as a half inch can have dramatic effects on steering. You change the geometry. An inch would very likely make the bike twitchy. Lowering would be adviseable only if you planned on lowering both ends equally.

Comment

Thanks. Although even if you do lower each end equally you have still altered the geometry. I think I'll leave it as-is for now. I'll think more about it when everything else is finished.

I have done a lot of work to my Harley also - it's a softail. I get a lot of guys saying I should lower it but I think it looks fine as it is. Plus it needs all the clearance it can get. I actually dislike lowered softails because it makes the frame look broken. There is a lovely line from the headjoint to the rear axle on those bikes which is kinda the whole point of a softail. Lowering the rear breaks that line.

But with my Suzi I think slightly lower at the front could look good. Oh well, I have plenty of other things to keep me occupied!

Comment

Not sure why you would want to do anything to fvck up the handling, but that's just me.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yes but you alter the geometry equally. Therefore handling will not be as greatly affected. Raising the rear will also quicken the steering, while lowering the rear will slow the steering...lowering them both will roughly cancel the other out, and achieve a lower seat height for those that are after that.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            and achieve a lower seat height for those that are after that.
            Midgets ?

Comment

Thanks tkent - very helpful. Sidesplittingly funny and very helpful. You might have noticed that I said I didn't want to mess up the handling. That is why I am asking the question.

Someone once said "there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers".

Comment

No, there are plenty of stupid questions.
                We get them all the time. The same ones, over and over.
                How fat can my tires be? Can I cut the pipes off right in front of the mufflers? Can I run my bike forever without adjusting the valves? Can I make it run right without cleaning the carburetors?
                Can I make my shafty a hard tail?
                And the number one stupid question, can I lower my bike so low it won't tip over without a side stand?
                Sure you can.
                Go for it.

Comment

Working...
                X