Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progressive shocks advice - 13 vs 13.5; spring rate

the backstory:
    I bought 12" Ikon shocks on clearance from Z1 and, on their recommendation, got 123/217 springs. They feel very stiff and there's only about 5/8" of sag. Bumps have already caused some discomfort on my lower back when doing fairly short rides. I'm going to call Z1 later today to see if they'll let me return my ikons.

I'm going to ask for credit instead of cash as I did mount and ride these shocks, and I'll pick up a set of Progressive brand, either 13" or 13.5".

I figure I'll get the 145/190 springs, as the current (217) springs are . The next ones they offer are 125/170.

I weigh about 195 in normal dress, however much more in boots and jacket.

So - my questions
    1) Does the 145/190 spring rate sound right for someone my weight?
    2) A slightly taller shock is appealing to me; I'm tall, and also the idea of getting a more twitchy bike is nice. Does anyone know if the bike will / will not accept a 13.5" shock? ('79 850)

thanks for any advice.

Aaron
    Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2012, 10:53 AM.

I weigh about the same and the 145/190 springs are perfect for me. I spoke with progressive suspensions and that is what they recommended for me.

Comment

Aaron, sorry they didn't work out for you mate. Feel bad about sending you the kinky now... Can you not just change out the springs on the Ikons?

At 165 without gear the 95-140 progressive springs were fine for me..
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
        Aaron, sorry they didn't work out for you mate. Feel bad about sending you the kinky now... Can you not just change out the springs on the Ikons?

At 165 without gear the 95-140 progressive springs were fine for me..

ah, hey - no need to apologize. it was a good deal and they are great shocks. not your fault. i think if i had the next spring rate down they'd be fine.

i spoke with Z1 awhile ago about this, after i first mounted them, and they don't have any lighter ikon springs since they were getting rid of everything. that would be the easiest solution, just to put lighter springs on these shock bodies. that said, at this point if they'll take them back i'd kind of rather go with progressives since i think i'll enjoy the extra height... though in reality who knows if i'll even be able to tell the difference.

anyway i spoke with Mike at Z1 today to ask what they could do for me. i feel bad since they're used now, but i don't want to be out $150 either. hopefully they'll help me out. I should find out next week.

Comment

Working...
        X