GS700 forks VS GS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS700 forks VS GS1100

I just got a pair of forks that were advertised as 1100's but after looking through a million pictures of the anti-dive (4 bolts vs 2) it looks like they came from a 700. They are 37mm and I have a 37mm triple coming froma GS1000 does anyone know if these are the same length as the 100 forks?

No theyre not the same length. They're quite a bit longer. The gs700 had a 16" wheel while the 1100 had a 19". They'd have made up for the smaller diameter wheel with extra length in the upper tubes. I don't know how much longer off hand but i can measure for you tomorrow. I'm gonna guess 1.5"-1.75" longer.
    Too much to simply raise the forks through the clamps to get rid of. But you can get rid of some of it. If you use some longer than stock shocks in back, say 14.5" from a CB1100F or a few KZs you wouldn't end up with the nose of the bike looking jacked up in the air and upsetting the weight distribution. The bike would be a little taller however.

Comment

Arghhh, your killing me!! I am eagerly awaiting your measurements before I ship them back....Thanks for the quick response!

Comment

What are you planning on putting these on? Do you not have a set of stock forks for your bike? Most of the rest of the GS bikes had forks that were really close to the same length. Obviously the leading axle "L" model forks (also used on 80-81 1100E and 750E) are a bit longer but the length from top to axle was relatively the same. AFAIK the 83 550/700/750/1150 (the bikes with the 16" front wheels) were the only ones with substantially longer shocks.
        I think the GS1100(82-83) forks were roughly 31.5 or maybe 32" long.

Comment

I am stuck at work but will check forst thing in the am against my 78 GS750 legs, are you saying they should be real close in length to the 78 GS750 legs?

Comment

Originally posted by rwcfrank View Post
            I am stuck at work but will check forst thing in the am against my 78 GS750 legs, are you saying they should be real close in length to the 78 GS750 legs?
            Not if they're gs700 legs. They'll be quite a bit longer. If they're GS1100E legs they may be pretty close to the same length.

Comment

Well I got a chance to check them and they are close, the new 1100 legs are about an inch longer than the old GS750 legs (phew) I have a triple on the way so my next trick will be either sourcing a bearing or pressing out the stem and rewelding it into the 1000 triples. Thanks for you help CafeKid, I am new here on GS a recent transplant from XS650 com. I built a few 650's but they were just a bit too slow for me. I wanted a 1000 but could not pass the deal i got a clean 750 I got from the original owner with 79K who let it sit for the last 5 years. One ignition coil, 4 plugs and a file on the points and it runs like a champ! I postes a pic of last cafe below.
              Last edited by Guest; 03-17-2012, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X