Possible to save these caliper pistons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible to save these caliper pistons?

Went to replace the pads on my rear brakes, and the pistons wouldn't compress. Decided to go ahead and rebuild the caliper. One piston came out fairly easily with compressed air, but had to fight the other one for a bit.

The piston that came out didn't look too terrible, but lots of rust/scale on the exposed part. The harder one looks a good bit worse. Any chance of saving these? I'm guessing not, just hate to have to order new ones, as it will probably be another week or so before I get the parts, and its getting really warm. But, at least I went ahead and replaced the rear brake line while I was in there.

If they were mine, I would get new ones

Comment

No chance - bin them before they kill you, or at best throw brake fluid all over your paint. And replace with stainless ones - they'll never need to be replaced again.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Even as cheap as I am, those would be ash trays.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
          No chance - bin them before they kill you, or at best throw brake fluid all over your paint. And replace with stainless ones - they'll never need to be replaced again.
          where's a good place I can get them from? I've done some searching, and only found them at a few places, and don't know if they're stainless or not.

Comment

In the UK but I've had loads of caliper pistons from him:

They fit GS rear calipers as well (38mm x 23mm). Or get the cheaper RGV 250 ones that don't have the recess for the boot - being stainless you don't need to fit the boot anyway.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

A couple of places

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

probably many more...

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                A couple of places

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

probably many more...
                guess I'll give z1 a call, they don't show any on their website. was hoping to find a place that had them in stock. ordered some parts from boulevard last monday, and should be getting them this coming wednesday. also, are the oem ones stainless?

Comment

OEM are not stainless..which is why those look the way they do. Total trash..throw them as far as you can.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    OEM are not stainless..which is why those look the way they do. Total trash..throw them as far as you can.
                    any vendors make stainless ones for these bikes like the ones linked above, that are in the US?

Comment

Originally posted by cj7jeep81 View Post
                      any vendors make stainless ones for these bikes like the ones linked above, that are in the US?
                      No (or so all the US guys tell me). Only over here where stainless is a must. Worth it.
                      Last edited by hampshirehog; 03-17-2012, 07:31 PM.
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Just a quick update. Ended up ordering 69100-08821 (piston set for rear caliper) from partshark, and ordered 69107-45000 (piston seal) as well, since some threads I read said it wasn't included, and I'd be mad to find out it wasn't included when it takes a week to get this stuff.

Turns out I did not need to buy the seal, and the piston set came with 2 pistons, 2 seals, 2 dust boots, and the seal between the halves. Got it all put back together yesterday, just need to bleed it now.

Comment

Thanks for reporting back! I think it does a lot of good for other folks to see a successful resolution to a problem.

I am a connoisseur of the finest twisty roads in Indiana, but I'll admit that I had to Google Osgood. You live in the midst of some very fine twisty roads, indeed. I'm sure I've been through Osgood at some point -- just didn't remember it.

Hope to see you in Brown County!
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                            Thanks for reporting back! I think it does a lot of good for other folks to see a successful resolution to a problem.

I am a connoisseur of the finest twisty roads in Indiana, but I'll admit that I had to Google Osgood. You live in the midst of some very fine twisty roads, indeed. I'm sure I've been through Osgood at some point -- just didn't remember it.

Hope to see you in Brown County!
                            yeah, not much in Osgood to remember, that's for sure. But definitely some nice country roads. Been several years since I've been out to Brown County, but you never know.

Comment

Working...
                            X