78 gs750 fron forks VS 81 gs750 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 gs750 fron forks VS 81 gs750 ?

so, a set of 81 gs750 front forks landed in my hands over the weekend, i was wondering, would i benefit from swapping them in on my 78 750? and is it a straight swap?
    thanks guys

81 forks are leading axle. 78 forks are not. The entire assembly needs to be swapped over trees and all. IMO there is no benefit to leading axle on a bike that was designed around end axle forks.

Comment

The newer style fork will give a smoother ride, but you need to switch the whole front as TCK says.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

so not that beneficial for the $$ i have to dump in to it to make it work anyone wants them for real cheap?
        Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2012, 06:26 PM.

Comment

actually another question guys, would it be possible to integrate the two forks together? because the 81 has air adjustment, and 78 dose not

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy_Russian View Post
            actually another question guys, would it be possible to integrate the two forks together? because the 81 has air adjustment, and 78 dose not
            You shouldn't.
            And besides, if you rebuild the forks like you should, you'd want to use new Progressive springs or the like. Using these makes air adjustment unnecessary. Frankly I have never seen any benefit in it to begin with, but usually it's because what's in there is so sacked out no amount of air will help.

Comment

thank you, they were rebuilt a few years back, i just didnt know about progressive springs at the time :-( ill try doing that this season and c how it turns out, the only complaint i have against them now is that they are too soft anyways, thank you for the input

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy_Russian View Post
                thank you, they were rebuilt a few years back, i just didnt know about progressive springs at the time :-( ill try doing that this season and c how it turns out, the only complaint i have against them now is that they are too soft anyways, thank you for the input
                Put some progressives in there with some new oil and the right amount of PVC preload spacer and she'll feel brand new in front. Sort out the rear shocks with some new ones too and it'll feel like a different bike altogether.

Comment

Working...
                X