Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 750/850 caliper difference/braking power

Hi guys,

I'm rebuilding 1981 GS 750 (16 valve). Front forks were wasted so i manage to get complete front end from GS 850. I like them more, cause they're not leading axle type which is more convinient for cafe project
    Anyway, GS 850 has older calipers type (with the round brake pads), while the GS 750 has the square pads. I was wondering, is there any significant difference in the braking efficiency between those two?
    Just for the record, here are the two types od calipers:
    GS 850:

And GS 750:

I cannot swap them, cause the mounting bracket is obviously slighty different. For sure they gonna be rebuild with the new seals, steel braided brake hoses etc.
    Braking power is what interests me. Is there any difference??

Thanks,

Nicolas

None that I've ever noticed.

Incidentally, you'll wanna check that swapping from leading axle to end axle isn't going to greatly effect your handling before you go wailing on that bike....

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      Incidentally, you'll wanna check that swapping from leading axle to end axle isn't going to greatly effect your handling before you go wailing on that bike....
      Hmm...do You think I did a mistake on swapping the forks? I've read a lot about this kind of mods on forum, and ppl always had a doubts, but at the end..never had complains..

Comment

The rectangular pad brakes seem a little stronger, or maybe just a little less weak. I've never seen the round pad brakes that really work well, some of the rectangular ones do.
        Two fingers is all you ever need on some of them. With the round pad brakes, it's pretty much going to be four fingers to stop hard.

The rectangular ones never squeal either, some of the the round ones do it constantly...

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Incidentally, you'll wanna check that swapping from leading axle to end axle isn't going to greatly effect your handling before you go wailing on that bike...
          In thery going that way should increase the trail, making it slower to turn, IE more stable. thats safer than the other way.

Either case watchout! Wobble...

Comment

Working...
          X