Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howto adjust rear shocks

Hello,
    Is it possible to adjust the shocks with out the suzuki tool? Thanks!
    DG

If they're the original Suzuki shocks, the only adjustment that will make any real difference is to remove the shocks, deposit them into the nearest trash receptacle, then install shocks that actually work -- Progressive, Hagon, Ikon, etc.

You can rotate the preload adjuster with a large set of channel-lock pliers. It will make little difference...
    Last edited by bwringer; 03-20-2012, 08:51 AM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Although I agree with bwringer, I will go a step farther and say that the only adjustment possible on the 450 shocks is spring preload.
      The only 'good' that will do is adjust your ride height. If you don't have "the tool", you can use a set of Channel-loc pliers.

The basis for his comment is that they weren't even "adequate" when they were new. By the time you rode the bike home from the dealer, they were already worn out. Imagine what they are like now, 30 years and several thousand miles later.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Perhaps I'm being a little harsh this morning. Let me reconsider...

Naaah. The stock shocks really are that bad. Replace them ASAP PDQ before you end up in the weeds.
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Ok, Thanks. Illtry and get some decent shocks. Any suggestions for a set for my GS450, that wont brake the bank? How about these?

Do they have to be the exact OEM length?

Comment

these look pritty awsome, could I compress them to OEM length before I put them on?

Comment

I think im going to with these, which springs should I get(there listed onthe bottom og the page)? Thanks,
              Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Comment

The factory springs MUST be junk, because even the PO of my 650 replaced them....and he NEVER replaced anything on that bike! It's probably the reason there's so many dents and crash-marks on it!

I like the progressives...all you do is pull up hard and turn, done.

Comment

Originally posted by djg42 View Post
                  I think im going to with these, which springs should I get(there listed onthe bottom og the page)? Thanks,
                  http://www.z1enterprises.com/Progres...1202B-521.aspx
                  Good choice.

You might want to call Z1 to ask about the springs -- depends on your weight and the bike weight, loading, etc.
                  Eat more venison.

Comment

Working...
                  X