No announcement yet.

front brakes just don't cut it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maybe take a look at the rotor,it might be glazed up not letting the pads work right, - yes been there done that-
    scuff them with sand paper or have them turned ,or get a new one, if your system is working,its the rotor that is the problem,just like cars they get burnt,and will not stop right

Comment

I recently had issues with my front brakes. Maybe different from yours, but now they work really well. I switched to Goodridge stainless lines, new Goodridge stainless banjo bolts, all new seals and completely cleaned everything. Even used a new master cylinder. But to start with I couldn't get any brake pressure. Turns out that when I reassembled the calipers I had the connecting bolts misaligned - difficult to see because they are covered by a rubber boot. Once I turned the bolts so they lined up properly I got good brake pressure.

I have Metal Gear fibre pads on mine, similar to the stock EBC organics. You can sintered metal pads which are better if you race because they fade less, but I went with fibre because they seem to "bite" more when cold. With how I ride brake fade is not really an issue.

Until recently it was tricky to get new discs, but I noticed that Metal Gear have started producing repro discs for a lot of GS models. I'm quite tempted to get some. I think brakes are about as important as things get on a bike!

Comment

I'm going with EBC pads.

How do you turn a bike rotor ? I've never seen it done.

I do notice that my line bulges with pressure so its got to go.

I'm trying to order a brake line on ebay but I'm not sure what to order.

Would This be right ?

length 40"
        fitting# 3 on master cylinder end
        fitting# 1 on the bottom
        Type c 90' bend
        color: black

What size are the banjo bolts ? 10 or 12mm ?

That's my best guess. A 450 L model is the same line as the 400L.

thanks
        Last edited by Mekanix; 04-01-2012, 08:56 PM.
        Stephen.
        1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
        GS twin wiki

Comment

You should contact them directly to check the specifics against your bike. They are easy enough to deal with.

There are more than a few members who have obtained lines through them, myself included.
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Got it, I spoke to the seller and he had the info on file, I was right on

Its ordered
            Stephen.
            1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
            Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
            GS twin wiki

Comment

im not sure if they surface rotors i was just shooting a suggestion,i wouldnt recommend full sintered metal pads, cause they EAT rotors, i know this for a fact cause i used them on my kz,and off road bikes,they will chew up the rotor fast , but they are fantastic at stopping

Comment

Got new pads and line, Looks good so far.

Still have to find the time to install and vacuum bleed.

The engine is taking allot of time.
                Stephen.
                1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                GS twin wiki

Comment

Working...
                X