Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for info on shaftie wheel sizes and fit

Hi guys.
    I'd like to change my rear rim to a larger diameter one. Anyone know if that's possible? It's got a 16" rim at the moment. Are they similar fitment in terms of spacers etc?
    Thanks

I don't think it should be a problem as long as you find one for a 1000 or 1100G. I might be wrong, so I'll probably be corrected. All 4 of my bikes have the 17" rear wheel, but the hub configuration on the '82 and '83 1100s is different from the 850. Whwn I put the 850 wheel on the 1100G I had to use spacers.

Comment

Your 1000G has a 16" wheel? You sure it's not a 1000GL?

I was not even aware that there were still 1000s available in 1982.

No problem switching sizes, as Dan said, just need to watch the spacers.

Why do you want to switch? If you are trying to lower your engine RPM, it won't drop much.
      If you are looking for better tire selection, there is not much difference.
      In fact, one tire that I would be interested in one tire that is available as a 16", but not a 17".

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Making up spacers shouldn't be a problem, I've had to tinker with just about everything else on the bike to get it to it's current state!
        As far as what model it is, that's an interesting question. The log book says it's an 1100 GL but a PO somewhere in the mists of time had put a 1000 motor in it. Or at least a 1000 top end. I can't get it on the center stand without first rolling it onto a piece of wood and that makes me suspect it originally had a bigger rear wheel that was attached to the 1100 motor.

My aim is to get access to a better selection of tyres and also, having test ridden it yesterday I found it very heavy to do slow turns, it felt like it wanted to flop into a turn again pointing to the small rear wheel giving a greater degree of rake angle up front.

Thanks for the input guys
        Last edited by Guest; 03-26-2012, 02:50 PM.

Comment

back in the market for a17" shaft drive rear rim

Hey guys, thread bump, anyone have a shaftie 17 incher I could buy?
          Calling the cafekid and 7981GS, your in boxes are full, tried to pm you, no joy.
          Thanks in advance

Comment

Working...
          X