New GK shocks !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GK shocks !!

I finally got some new rear shocks for the GK. The stock air shocks were leaking a bit of air and quite frankly were a pain to deal with. So, after some consideration to my riding habits and my budget, I decided to get these from Dave Quinn Motorcycles.

www.davequinnmotorcycles.com

I wanted them a bit shorter as I'm tippy toed on the bike, so, I got 12.5 in or 320mm. After talking to Dave and giving him some information I got the 26kg/146lb springs in chrome. They are still in the box since the UPS man doesn't get to my house until around 8pm, so, they are going on this afternoon when I get home from work.
    I didn't really trust those old air shocks and will have much more peace of mind riding two-up with my lovely wife. Riding report to follow......

Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Good deal.

And we won't have to drive all over town looking for an air fitting again, will we?
    sigpic

SUZUKI:
    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Ha !!!!!!! Yep, that's right Brett.
      No more riding around looking for a schrader valve for an old Suzuki's air shock in the hills of Southern Indiana. We did finally find one in Orleans just south of Bedford and I had the best guy supervise the installation.

Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Hi Larry,

Nice looking shocks. I have a few questions for you though. How well do you know this company? How's their customer service? How's the quality of the product....

I'm in dire need of set of shocks (well a tad bit different that stock of course) and they seem to be having some decent products. Any info you can give me I really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Chris

Comment

Chris, I have them on my bike (will ride it soon) and rode Tom Kent's 650 that had them on there. They seem a little stiff at first but I think it provides a good ride.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Stiff is good I need something that doesn't break under load and I need some really serious springs to go with it. Actually the springs is the most important part for me. Do you guys know anyone in the company I can call and chat with?

Sorry to hijack the post.

Comment

If you need stiff springs, just buy a pair of CDI shocks.

Eric

Comment

Excuse the ignorance but what are CDI shocks?

Comment

Originally posted by shirazdrum View Post
                  Stiff is good I need something that doesn't break under load and I need some really serious springs to go with it. Actually the springs is the most important part for me. Do you guys know anyone in the company I can call and chat with?

Sorry to hijack the post.
                  Chris, talk to the spring shop at Kenworth. They might have some big enough for you.
                  CDI are some cheap shocks that work a little bit, but the springs are stiff as Hell for normal bikes.
                  Probably not what you need for that 1300 lb 850.
                  Talk to Dave Quinn, the link is in post one of this thread. He will talk to you, nice guy. Like Cowboy said, the Hagons are fairly good shocks, Been happy with them on three bikes so far. I don't know if they can go heavy duty enough for your use.
                  They are stiff on my unloaded 650, the damping is good but it's just an around town bike, no overloaded monster bike continent hopping on that one.
                  Last edited by tkent02; 04-13-2012, 10:40 PM.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Excuse the ignorance but what are CDI shocks?
                    I think he meant MDI shocks. They're cheap likely Chinese or Taiwanese built shocks you can find on eBay for about $80ish a set. They're actually not bad if you're a heavy dude or have a heavy bike. They do the job. No damping adjustment but the pairs I've used actually had decent rebound damping, but the springs are stiff as a board. Two up or loaded with gear they feel darn good though. If you're not into "tune-able"'suspension for hard core corner carving and just need something to replace sacked out crappers, theyll do the job and they're cheap if you are on a budget. Certainly better than the stock dangerous crap. Theyre sold under all sorts of names (MDI, Forza, etc) but they're all the same shocks...

Comment

I stand corrected. MDI
                      Yes, they are available all over on Ebay for less than $100 a pair delivered.
                      Exactly what is needed for a tank or someone that weighs more than 250 pounds.

As for the OP's GK, the Hagon's are a much better choice.

Eric
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-13-2012, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Hey guys thanks for all the info. If you remember my attempt at making homemade shocks in Colombia, i eneded up with a set of really nice shocks that sure can take a beating (don't ask me how i know ) but the springs are the issue. They Progressive springs but they just don't have anything left in them anymore.

The original thread for that was here.

The shocks that I have are modified mono shocks, oil filled and repairable. We cut grooves on the bodies as well that I can adjust the spring load by 3 inches! I just need to find the heaviest and most durable springs, as my guess is that a cheap set of Chinese springs might be stiff at first but will sag down in a hurry under monster loads.

Comment

You should see if Ohlins or someone might spot you a set of shocks, they would certainly get some good advertising out of it.
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hey guys thanks for all the info. If you remember my attempt at making homemade shocks in Colombia, i eneded up with a set of really nice shocks that sure can take a beating (don't ask me how i know ) but the springs are the issue. They Progressive springs but they just don't have anything left in them anymore.

The original thread for that was here.

The shocks that I have are modified mono shocks, oil filled and repairable. We cut grooves on the bodies as well that I can adjust the spring load by 3 inches! I just need to find the heaviest and most durable springs, as my guess is that a cheap set of Chinese springs might be stiff at first but will sag down in a hurry under monster loads.

If you can measure the free length (or know the free length required) and know the diameter of the stop coils (they're usually tighter in diameter than the rest of the spring) racetech would likely be able to send you a new set of springs at whatever weight rating you need. Might need the wire gauge too...
                            If the shock bodies are good, spring replacement would be the best and cheaper option other than those MDIs. That's the route I would go anyway.

Comment

Tom I give them a shout, but unfortunately the racing guys hit them so hard that i'll be a needle in a haystack.

That's probably the way to go. I can definitely measure everything and having a custom made spring would be one thing that I can't get down here. It's amazing how everything is just a phone call away back in the States and down here is matter of waiting and wishing.

Comment

Working...
                              X