No announcement yet.

HELP with offset front wheel GS750 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are two pots, supposedly from an early Bandit 600. The rotors are from an 1150 and are a direct bolt on. I liked the look of the 1150 rotors better than the slotted rotors due to the fact that they look like old school race rotors from the 70's. PS I went through 4 pot hell with an Yamaha XS650 project and without spacing out rotors most 4 pot calipers hit. The 2 pots will stand the bike on end with the proper master cylinder and they are lighter too.

Comment

Originally posted by rwcfrank View Post
      Alright, well it seems that lossening the entire front end was the ticket to getting the wheel centered, thanks for the help. Got my SV 650 calipers mounted to bite the 1150 rotors and layed the rear shocks down a few degrees. She is coming along and as soon as the rear Katana caliper bracket is here I can finish the rear brake upgrade.
      I hope that you can find the matching left rotor some day to finish it off.

Eric

Comment

it has dual rotors. Funny thing while I was shopping for front rotors I found tons for around $25 shipped when a good set of 1150's appeared for 9.99 and I was the only bidder. I did have to go with a slotted rear rotor but compared to the original its still a huge upgrade.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2012, 11:27 AM.

Comment

The left front rotor on your bike is a right front rotor. The slots angle back if it is on the correct side. Clear?

Eric
          Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2012, 11:37 AM.

Comment

They are two pots, supposedly from an early Bandit 600. The rotors are from an 1150 and are a direct bolt on. I liked the look of the 1150 rotors better than the slotted rotors due to the fact that they look like old school race rotors from the 70's. PS I went through 4 pot hell with an Yamaha XS650 project and without spacing out rotors most 4 pot calipers hit. The 2 pots will stand the bike on end with the proper master cylinder and they are lighter too.
            Of course, I just bought a set of the 1100 rotors and painted them, but I did get them for only $20 shipped for the pair.

The big advantage I can see for those 1150 rotors is they are floating instead of cast/one-piece like the earlier rotors. Not really much of a performance issue, as I will never use this bike as a serious performance machine. (no disrespect meant to either machines or owners by that last sentence)

Comment

The left front rotor on your bike is a right front rotor. The slots angle back if it is on the correct side. Clear?
              [/PHP]
              7981 GS Thanks for the heads up, I will swap those around on final assembly

Comment

Any updates, Frank? Curious to know how your brake swap is working out.

FWIW, just yesterday I snagged a complete set of SV650 calipers with master and lines for $45 shipped off of ebay. For now, I think I'll hold off on replacing the master cylinder with the Hayabusa master I just bought.

Comment

Aj, its about done, I just have to finish cleaning up the brackets and I made a new hanger for the rear Katana caliper. Everything looks like it will work out fine. I am on the road for a few days but can post up some pics when I get back. Once you have your calipers you can see that they need about a 1/16 to 1/8 spacer between the upper bolt and upper caliper mount. Then tighten the caliper once you have it positioned and then make a pattern for the bracket. You will need to have a spacer made (you can somtimes find something close depending upon what your part resources look like) to go between the lower caliper mount and the "new" hole you will need. The lower caliper ear (0n the forks) holds the bottom of the bracket. This makes for a pretty stout bracket. I used 1/2" 6061 T6 aluminum for my bracket but you can use steel if you like.
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-23-2012, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Aj, its about done, I just have to finish cleaning up the brackets and I made a new hanger for the rear Katana caliper. Everything looks like it will work out fine. I am on the road for a few days but can post up some pics when I get back. Once you have your calipers you can see that they need about a 1/16 to 1/8 spacer between the upper bolt and upper caliper mount. Then tighten the caliper once you have it positioned and then make a pattern for the bracket. You will need to have a spacer made (you can somtimes find something close depending upon what your part resources look like) to go between the lower caliper mount and the "new" hole you will need. The lower caliper ear (0n the forks) holds the bottom of the bracket. This makes for a pretty stout bracket. I used 1/2" 6061 T6 aluminum for my bracket but you can use steel if you like.
                    Many thanks, sir. Do the parts look something like this?

Comment

Thats exactly right but I plan to radius the corners to give them a more finished look.

Comment

Sounds good! That drawing was just a quick mockup on my PC. I was thinking of making the little round part into something elongated so I could add a second bolt to the main plate for stiffening. Ideally this would be a single part hogged out of billet, but that's too much material for my little hobby mill. I might try to do some surface machining so it looks more like an original part than an add-on.

My brakes have supposedly shipped, so I may have a chance to play with them this weekend.

Comment

If anybody is following this thread.....

Got my SV650 calipers over the weekend, but it won't be an easy retrofit. First, I hadn't noticed that the forks rwcfrank has are different than those on my GS1100E model. Mine have a rebound damping adjustment on the bottom of each leg that I hadn't noticed was missing in rwc's photos.

The tabs for the caliper mounts may also be placed differently than those in the photos. While I could possibly use the upper caliper mount directly as shown in the photos, it looks like at least a portion of the pads will not be in contact with the disc if I use this mount. Ideally, both mounting bolts should be placed between the tabs on the forks.

I've come up with a new design concept for an adapter to mount the calipers exactly where I want them in relation to the brake disc. However, since I have to go through that, I might as well look for a different disc that better matches the swept area of the pads on the SV650 calipers. I can make it work with these discs, but am holding off while I do a little more research.

I'll start a new thread when I'm making the new brackets.

Comment

Out of curiosity, why are you upgrading the rear brake? Mine is all stock in the back and I've never had an issue with it. If anything, it is a little more powerful than I'd like. I have saltymonk's upgrade, and it seems pretty well matched to that.

Comment

Originally posted by gearheadE30 View Post
                              Out of curiosity, why are you upgrading the rear brake? Mine is all stock in the back and I've never had an issue with it. If anything, it is a little more powerful than I'd like. I have saltymonk's upgrade, and it seems pretty well matched to that.
                              Naw, just the fronts. I would have done well going with saltymonk's path myself. He did the research and has developed an effective solution at an affordable price. I just liked the possibility of doing this myself and when I snagged a complete set of SV650 calipers with line and master cylinder for cheap....

Comment

Basically the same thing. Not sure on the 1150 Rotor dia but I think it might be bigger than stock with more offset. Either that or those calipers have significantly shorter sweep on the pads.

If I was starting again now I would probably use those calipers for better availability of calipers that don't need a rebuild.

The brackets are similar but not the same when used with the same rotor. I did sort of test a set out to see but haven't had time to look at it properly yet (I have a set on the shelf from when I bought a M/C & got a set of calipers "thrown in" )

Only real difference is the old concourse/ninja calipers have 2 different sized pistons, those have 2 the same size. Can't remember if pad sweep is similar or not. probably....

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                                X