Rear Caliper OEM Dust Boots incorrect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Caliper OEM Dust Boots incorrect?

Was putting together my rear caliper today on my 82 GS550M and noticed that the OEM dust boots are smaller than the original ones I took off the bike. I checked the part numbers twice and the part numbers I ordered are correct - 69108-45000. But, they are too small to fit. Anyone else run into this issue and know if there was a change somewhere along the line or ?.

Some pics. The original is below the new one.

Original is on the left, new OEM on the right.

Original boot fits over the lip....

New OEM is smaller in circumference than the lip it fits over as seen here...
    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

I just redid mine and thought the same thing. It just turns out that the old boots are so worn that they stretched to fit easily. (See how collapsed the old one is vs the new one?) The new ones will fit, you just need to show them who is boss. It will be an exercise in attrition and patience.

Comment

Ok Gonzo, I will try again but my attempts so far have proven futile. I still think they were made smaller than originally...
      1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Well, you were right Gonzo thanks! Just took a little persuasion. The trick on the rear is to put the piston in first then the dust boot. On the front's, the trick is to put the dus boot over the caliper first, towards the bottom of the piston, then insert the portion of the boot that sits inside the bore into position. Once that's in its groove, then push the piston down into the bore and the next part of the boot will catch on the piston where it sits. Hopefully this will help the next person.
        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Working...
        X