tank slap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tank slap

when i take my hands of the handle bars they wanna tank slap i have a brand new tire that was high speed balanced rotor is true and straight i have heard about checking the air pressure in the forks but i cannot find a shrader valve any where the bike is 1977 gs 750 there is a oil drain on the bottom of each tube but i didnt wanna mess with that if i can just reset the air pressure or something simple

Steering stem bearings are toast. Your particular model has ball bearings. Over time "detents" get beaten into the races and the balls will walk in and out of those detents and cause the wobble.

Comment

Even roller bearings are not immune, it just takes longer before it happens.

Here is what happened to my roller bearings. The dents in your ball bearings would be much worse.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanx for the info will get some coming next week

Comment

A GSR member recently installed a set of All Balls stem bearings and found he needed to have done a stem modification. I think you're in that boat if you want to use All Balls.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Check also your swingarm bearings.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

checked out that link it looks complicated maybe a little out of my ability i think i might just put oem style bearings in it

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Even roller bearings are not immune, it just takes longer before it happens.

Here is what happened to my roller bearings. The dents in your ball bearings would be much worse.

Steve that is a pic of a badly adjusted and un lubricated bearing.
                the amount of work the stem bearings do is way under the spec of a taper roller bearings capabilities.
                a properly lubricated and preloaded bearing would out live the bike, and you probably!
                1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                  Steve that is a pic of a badly adjusted and un lubricated bearing.
                  the amount of work the stem bearings do is way under the spec of a taper roller bearings capabilities.
                  a properly lubricated and preloaded bearing would out live the bike, and you probably!
                  Except they don't. Lots of us have had to replace the original tapered bearings. Unless the factory was doing it wrong.
                  Dogma
                  --
                  O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                    Except they don't. Lots of us have had to replace the original tapered bearings. Unless the factory was doing it wrong.
                    factory fitted bearings were never lubricated apart from the minimal lube that the bearing was coated in. was never included in a service routine to readjust and lubricate
                    1978 GS1085.

Comment

my tree doesnt have any zerk fittings when i do these bearings would it hurt to drill the neck and put in a grease fiting or maybe 2 1 for the top bearing and 1 for the bottom ,, to help the longevity of the bearings or would the hole compromise the integrity of the neck

Comment

no need for any drilling. just pack them well with quality grease when you fit them and make sure the top nut is torqued up correctly and you have a nice smooth turn on the trees. they will last forever
                        1978 GS1085.

Comment

ok good enough i have a bad habit of over thinking simple things and making them complicated

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                            Check also your swingarm bearings.
                            Don't ignore this bit of advice amongst all the front end bearing advice, I changed the stem bearings (needed anyway) wheel bearings, checked tire pressure, fork pressure, found out a lot of the issue was my swinger bearings, I've heard front end instability is caused from rear suspension or alignment issues. My swinger tightened up another 1/4 turn and eliminated most of my slap, I know I need new swinger bearings, but trying to live with it till fall/winter. When I increase rear tire pressure or rear shock pressure, mine worsens.

Comment

May wanna spend a few extra bucks and just replace the wheel bearings too just for piece of mind sake..then youll know ALL the front end is new and not problematic in any way.
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X