Front Sport Demon/Rear Road Rider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Sport Demon/Rear Road Rider

Any problem with this combo? Got a lot left in that front, but want something a little longer-lasting for the long road home.

I believe that Josh (Thecafekid) ran that combo on his 1100ES, and liked it very much. He'll probably chime in once he sees this thread, or you could pm him to bring this to his attention.

I'm thinking about doing that on my 1000G when the current Bridgestone tires are done (they have another 2 - 3,000 or so miles in them, but I'll probably ditch them sooner than that).

I currently have Sport Demons on my 700ES, and like them termendously. Since I only ride that bike around town or in the twisties, tire life isn't a concern like it is on my 1000G, which does a lot of slab time as well as twisty riding.
    sigpic

SUZUKI:
    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
      I believe that Josh (Thecafekid) ran that combo on his 1100ES, and liked it very much. He'll probably chime in once he sees this thread, or you could pm him to bring this to his attention.

I'm thinking about doing that on my 1000G when the current Bridgestone tires are done (they have another 2 - 3,000 or so miles in them, but I'll probably ditch them sooner than that).

I currently have Sport Demons on my 700ES, and like them termendously. Since I only ride that bike around town or in the twisties, tire life isn't a concern like it is on my 1000G, which does a lot of slab time as well as twisty riding.
      Yeah, that's the issue. Right after getting these SD's mounted last year I took a trip down to NYC. I cut down through the Finger Lakes/Catskills - no superslab and lots of hills and curves. Still said hello to a nice, wide flat spot when I got home. I'm guessing that has more to do with my wrist than the tires, though.

Comment

Know of any places having a sale?

Comment

GrandRouge has reported getting over 6,000 miles out of his V-Rated Shinko 230's with about 2-3,000 left in them on his Original Owner '83 GS1100E.
          It might suite you to a T.
          I currently have those tires on four GS's myself. (2)1100E's (1) GS1000G and (1) GS1200G
          The 130/90-17's are about $72 each at www.Motorcyclesuperstore.com

Eric

Comment

I've found the best prices on tires (and I buy a lot of tires with four bikes that I ride the $hit out of) here:

Since 1979, J&P Cycles has been the go-to for die-hard motorcyclists who know aftermarket expertise when they see it. Learn more about our stores & online shop!

Since they have a warehouse in Louisville (I believe the other one is in Oregon), I usually find the tires on my porch when I get home from work the day after I order them. Free shipping, too.
            sigpic

SUZUKI:
            1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
            HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
            KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
            YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

I was running an Avon Venom X front and RR rear. Liked it a lot. The Venom X is a little stickier than the RR but I don't think as sticky as a Sport Demon. I never tried the sport demons simply because with the miles I usually put on a bike in a season I'd go through 2 or three rears/season if they're toast inside of 6K. Looks like the Shinkos I put on the Rex will last just over that though but at least they're cheaper than the PP 2CTs I was running before.

Back to bias ply... If you want sticky icky you're going to pay the price. The RR was both sticky enough, and the profile (more important to me on a GS than absolute grip) is pointy enough to make the handling much more aggressive than some other tires I've run. Never ran the Shinkos on a GS (though I do like the radials on the Rex) but their profile was really what kept me from doing so. Some tires simply dont help the steering feel. They may be plenty sticky for pushing in corners, but I really liked the "light" feeling the Venom and Road Rider combo gave my 1100E and 1100G. Plus I never felt one get greasy or squirrelly so that was good enough for me to keep usin them. I'd usually go through a rear every season at least either way.

I've tried some others that just made the GS feel every bit as heavy and long as they are, and some that literally scared the hell out of me when pushed (Kenda Challengers should be avoided like the plague unless you ride straight flat roads in dry conditions and ride like an old lady)

Just my opinion though.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                I was running an Avon Venom X front and RR rear. Liked it a lot. The Venom X is a little stickier than the RR but I don't think as sticky as a Sport Demon. I never tried the sport demons simply because with the miles I usually put on a bike in a season I'd go through 2 or three rears/season if they're toast inside of 6K. Looks like the Shinkos I put on the Rex will last just over that though but at least they're cheaper than the PP 2CTs I was running before.

Back to bias ply... If you want sticky icky you're going to pay the price. The RR was both sticky enough, and the profile (more important to me on a GS than absolute grip) is pointy enough to make the handling much more aggressive than some other tires I've run. Never ran the Shinkos on a GS (though I do like the radials on the Rex) but their profile was really what kept me from doing so. Some tires simply dont help the steering feel. They may be plenty sticky for pushing in corners, but I really liked the "light" feeling the Venom and Road Rider combo gave my 1100E and 1100G. Plus I never felt one get greasy or squirrelly so that was good enough for me to keep usin them. I'd usually go through a rear every season at least either way.

I've tried some others that just made the GS feel every bit as heavy and long as they are, and some that literally scared the hell out of me when pushed (Kenda Challengers should be avoided like the plague unless you ride straight flat roads in dry conditions and ride like an old lady)

Just my opinion though.
                My 750L had Challengers on it, and they were terrible.

One RR on the way!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                  (Kenda Challengers should be avoided like the plague unless you ride straight flat roads in dry conditions and ride like an old lady)
                  Come on, it's fun to spin them up so easily on every paint stripe.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
                    Know of any places having a sale?
                    DK is $114

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                      I've actually been running a 150 in the rear, which was even cheaper!

Comment

Working...
                      X