Rear master rubber binding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear master rubber binding

Today I had some problems with my rear brakes not releasing when I take my foot off them. (Thankfully this happened at home and not on the road.) I would pump my brakes but felt no resistance at all. I figured it was the rubber that sits on the end of the return spring inside the master binding up. I tore it down and found out that it was.

I reseated the rubber, but it still wanted to turn over and bind between the cylinder wall and the piston spring. This was a new one from a rebuild kit, so out of curiosity I grabbed my old rubber, threw that in and BAM! It now returns like it should. Kind of anyway. While it get stuck like it used to, it doesn't seat fully until quite some time after I release the foot pedal and it always snaps back. You can hear it seat. This worries me.

Anyways, the point is, has anyone else had this problem? I'm starting to wonder if it's the spring causing the problem. There were no gouges or scoring that I could see in the cylinder, so I don't see anything for it to catch on. I'm wondering if I got a crappy rebuild kit and this is a common thing for the to do. Anyone have some input?

If you bought an aftermarket rebuild kit, it's crap. I don't know why otherwise reputable shops still sell this dangerous junk.

The OEM Suzuki kits are complete, correct, and usually cheaper.

You may have something out of sequence, a spacer in the wrong place, or something like that. Or you may need to install a new return spring. I've also seen the rubber bits get damaged by brake cleaner or other substances and swell up -- make sure the only thing that touches the parts is clean fresh brake fluid.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
    X