Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what do out of balance tire ride like?

Hi all,

I installed new tires on my GS850 and balanced then using the static balancer (the kind with the cones and rod that sits on small wheels).

My first rid with the new tires was today. It seemed fine, but and I have no idea what behavior an out a balance wheel would cause?

I a car, at speed there is usually noticeable vibrations.

Thanks.

Weird vibrations on a bike can come from all kinds of places. Tires, out of sync carbs, stretched or improperly lubed chains, who knows what else.

I don't really know what a poorly balanced tire feels like, but I figured it worth mentioning that vibration is one of those gremlins that you can only hope to reduce at best and even then, you'll be playing whack a mole all over the place trying just to reduce it.

Comment

Originally posted by subforry View Post
      Believe it or not, a motorcycle does the same thing.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I remeber the first time i got a MC tire balanced.
        It was incredible the way the pogo stick vibration left the rear of the bike and my spine.

Comment

Oh you would notice something real fast...

Originally posted by subforry View Post
          Hi all,

I installed new tires on my GS850 and balanced then using the static balancer (the kind with the cones and rod that sits on small wheels).

My first rid with the new tires was today. It seemed fine, but and I have no idea what behavior an out a balance wheel would cause?

Thanks.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

cool. It seems smooth, no vibrations. The ride is more hoppy (not sure how to describe it), but I think this has to do with the air pressure in the tires and the forks which I will play with and see what changes.

Comment

Dyna Beads! I swear by them! I used them in a known unbalanced tire, had bad wheel hop at 55mph and up. Poured in 2oz of Dyna Beads and bam! Wheel hop was gone and the bike ran supper smooth! I use them whenever I install my own tires. Swear by them!
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
              2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
              Originally posted by Hayabuser
              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Ride up to Highway speed Fast(55-85mph)
                Does the bike Bounce or feel Hoppy?
                If the handlebars vibrate or front hops, the front tire is probably off.
                Or you'll feel the Rear start to get bouncy if it's the Rear Tire.

The reason I say to accelerate fast, is because you'll feel the Imbalance kick in more violently, rather than goosing it up gradually, you might Not notice it as easily, or you might just brush it off as "the road" or something else.

Comment

Working...
                X