13" or 14" Progressive 12 series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

13" or 14" Progressive 12 series

Hey all, this is my first post and consequently a first Thread as well.

I'm in the midst of Restoring/Slightly Modding a 78 GS750. My intentions for the bike will be a time period correct racebike while trying not to lose much of the original feel of the thing.

My question is do any of you know what length some of those old racebikes were running in the rear and or have photos of a build using 13" or 14" 12 series progressive rear shocks?

Any help will be much appreciated; thanks.

I'm installing the 14" 12 series on my 750, they are the stock length though the springs are rated at 105/175 I believe or 15% firmer then stock ones. As for the length on the old race bikes haven't a clue.

Originally posted by Kanon08 View Post
    Hey all, this is my first post and consequently a first Thread as well.

I'm in the midst of Restoring/Slightly Modding a 78 GS750. My intentions for the bike will be a time period correct racebike while trying not to lose much of the original feel of the thing.

My question is do any of you know what length some of those old racebikes were running in the rear and or have photos of a build using 13" or 14" 12 series progressive rear shocks?

Any help will be much appreciated; thanks.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Hum, I swear when I measured the length of the shocks I have, which appear to be stock, were a 11 something from the Clevis to Eye. In hind sight maybe thats due to the fact they were still bolted up to the bike..... Anyway it appears I'll probably just roll with the 14's thanks for the advice.

Comment

The photos can be misleading because they shock mounts have been moved alot back in the day. If you look at Cooleys 1000 they moved both upper and lower mounts forward. Its more about the angle of the swingarm and spring rates than anything else.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Kanon08,

I do believe the stock length for the GS750 is 13.25 inches. Please check your manual to be sure. Progressive says 13 inches.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X