Rookie biker tire question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rookie biker tire question

Ok, three questions. I did a search, but couldn't find anything really specific.
    Question one: How can you tell when you need to change a tire? My buddy said I need a new front tire.

Question two: What would be a good all around tire for my '78 GS750? There are a ton on eBay and I have no idea what to get. I do more city driving and don't like to go at high speeds, more into acceleration and handling.

Question three: Do the front and rear tires need to match? Brand and thread type? Or can I just change the front tire.

I'm totally ignorant when it comes to bike tires.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 05-17-2012, 04:19 PM.

Look at the date code, look at the wear bars and the wear pattern. If they are more than a few years old, or if they have any unusual swear, replace them.

Matching tires are good, some combinations work terrible, some combinations work well. The problem is you don't know until you try. I'd go with a matched set of Avon RoadRiders in the stock sizes if I wanted good handling. 90/90-19 and 110/90 or 120/90 18 I believe.
    Any wider will make it handle funny.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Look at the date code, look at the wear bars and the wear pattern. If they are more than a few years old, or if they have any unusual swear, replace them.

Matching tires are good, some combinations work terrible, some combinations work well. The problem is you don't know until you try. I'd go with a matched set of Avon RoadRiders in the stock sizes if I wanted good handling. 90/90-19 and 110/90 or 120/90 18 I believe.
      Any wider will make it handle funny.
      Thanks, where do I find the date code and how does it work?

Comment

Look for DOT and some letters then four numbers. The first two are the week of manufacture, the second two are the year.

So 2307 would be the 23rd week of 2007. If it's only three digits they were made in the nineties, 237 would be the 23rd week of 1997.

This stuff is all on Cliff's site somewhere.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hi,

Click below.

How old are my tires?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks Cliff...you must get tired of people asking questions for which you already have answers posted. I've been finding a ton of stuff from your website..must've missed the tires. sorry
            BTW..are you a Bass player?

Comment

Originally posted by capnjim View Post
              Ok, three questions. I did a search, but couldn't find anything really specific.
              Question one: How can you tell when you need to change a tire? My buddy said I need a new front tire.

Question two: What would be a good all around tire for my '78 GS750? There are a ton on eBay and I have no idea what to get. I do more city driving and don't like to go at high speeds, more into acceleration and handling.

Question three: Do the front and rear tires need to match? Brand and thread type? Or can I just change the front tire.

I'm totally ignorant when it comes to bike tires.
              Thanks
              1. Look in the grooves - there are cross bars down in there. If the tread is down to that cross bar, you need a new tire

2. Since you need a new front, just go wild and get a new rear. Avons are expensive (I just bought 2 sets ,tho) and they offer the 3.25 front/4.00 rear sizes that came on your bike. Bridgestones are a good alternative and less expensive. It's hard to make a recommendation when you say contradictory things "I do more city driving and don't like to go at high speeds, more into acceleration and handling". Don't buy from Ebay. If uyou don't have a dealer nearby that will give you a good price, try motorcyclesuperstore.com. EBay - they'll sell you 4 year old tires
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Hi,

Thanks Cliff...you must get tired of people asking questions for which you already have answers posted. I've been finding a ton of stuff from your website..must've missed the tires. sorry
                BTW..are you a Bass player?
                Not to worry. My site is not organized very well and it's easy to miss a lot of stuff.

Yes, I play the bass guitar. I just picked up a new one.

BassCliff

Comment

Awesome...I'm a bass player as well. Nice hollowbody, I love the block inlays.
                  Are you a member of Talkbass? It another really great community.
                  I just bought a 1975 Rickenbacker last week, my first ever ric!
                  The problem with tires is I am in Canada and everything is double the price here. I can probably find a local dealer, but its gonna be expensive. I'll check some of the links on your tire page and see if they have reasonable shipping to Canada.
                  Thanks again!
                  Cheers

Comment

Hi,

OK, I just joined Talkbass.com forum with my same user name. Another way to waste time.

BassCliff

Comment

Awesome...I'm a bass player as well. Nice hollowbody, I love the block inlays.
                      Are you a member of Talkbass? It another really great community.
                      I just bought a 1975 Rickenbacker last week, my first ever ric!
                      The problem with tires is I am in Canada and everything is double the price here. I can probably find a local dealer, but its gonna be expensive. I'll check some of the links on your tire page and see if they have reasonable shipping to Canada.
                      Thanks again!
                      Cheers
                      Do a search, I believe some of the Canada guys have found how to lessen the freight charge

Or, if you're close to the border, maybe ship them to someones house in US and drive over and get them

BTW, good reason to update your profile with you bike and location
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Get your tires from thses guys;

Free Shipping (at least it used to be).

Comment

Thanks Wizard. Thats great. Probably half the price as I would find from a local dealer.

Comment

Try and avoid tires that are more then 3 years old. Tires have a shelf life.
                            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I just looked up one front tire from that previous link and ouch! $$$
                              Perhaps you can find the same tire at www.motorcyclesuperstore.com for 30-40% less even shipped to Canada?

Eric

Comment

Working...
                              X