need new tires witch ones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need new tires witch ones

ok so i have a gs1100gl iv had for a year iv put close to 20k on it been useing dunlop 404s but not liking the tread life iv gone thru 3 rears needing a 4th front is like 50% do alot of 2up what tire would be good for me

There are dozens of tire threads in the archives just waiting for you to find.

Click advanced search

Type "tires" into search field

Click "titles only"

Start search

Start reading
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

You want traction?
      You want cheap?
      You want long life?
      You want great handling?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

good handling not to pricy and longer life then the 404s

Comment

oh and i did search reading about dif tires right now im prity new to street bikes know nothing about the tires

Comment

Have you tried any of the Touring Compound tires?
            No idea in the witch though.

Eric

Comment

Witches don't ride motorcycles, don't they prefer broomsticks?

Try the Shinko 230, supposed to be cheap and a pritty good tire.

Comment

Many of us have installed the Shinko 230 Tour Master with good results.
                Very cheap (insexpensive) tires, have not yet heard from anyone on how long they lasted.

If you don't mind paying a bit more, Dunlop Elite E3 will work on your bike. Have not seen too many of them on GSes,
                but I went through three sets of them on my Wing, getting about 23,000 miles out of each set.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

GrandRouge has reported exceeding 6,000 miles on his '83 1100E with 230 Shinko's and about 2,000 miles remaining.

Eric

Comment

BT45 Bridgestone's are good. Decent life span and pretty good handling.

Wish there was a way to put really modern rubber on our old bikes. But then, any of the tires on the market now are light years ahead of what was available when our bikes were new...
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-19-2012, 06:08 PM.

Comment

so from what iv read think il go with the shinko but i still have a dunlop 404 on front should i replace them both or should it be fine to just replace the rear

Comment

You might be OK for a while but the Shinko's are far stickier than the Don't grip's.
                        It might be dangerous on fast turns.

Eric

Comment

well i was expecting to pay like 120 ish for the dunlop and i can get both front and rear for 106 shiped off bike bandit so if its not safe il get both

Comment

Much better idea.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

If you don't mind paying a bit more, Dunlop Elite E3 will work on your bike. Have not seen too many of them on GSes,
                              but I went through three sets of them on my Wing, getting about 23,000 miles out of each set.

Say it ain't so...
                              I wanted to test the Shinkos on the 1100G, you say for the Elites to wear down will be over 20,000 miles away?
                              That's never going to happen.
                              Dammit, Janet.

Comment

Working...
                              X