No announcement yet.

need new tires witch ones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slick tires on the back are fun if you don't crash.
    Slick tires on the front, just crash.
    Get the matched set.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

i got shinko 712 put about 500 miles on them now i have to say the bike has never handled better the set was 92 shiped off bike bandit my frind on his 2000 cbr600f4 was having a hard time keeping up on the twistys when we road b4 my bike was sliding all over the place when i tryed to push it at all im varry happy with the tires so far

Comment

I did a lot of looking before i bought a set of tires for my GS850GL. I wanted good traction both wet and dry,....with an excellent mileage "history".

I just didn't want to be changing tires every year or two,......and at 56 don't need the running "on the edge" traction requirements of the full sport bikes. Theses bikes are 1980's technology after all,.....so braking is not up to modern multi-pot calipers and you ride within reason to that fact.

I ride conseratively,....but do my share of leaning on good looking roads in dry conditions.

Anyway, i chose a set of Bridgestone Spitfire S11 tires. Do some google search reviews and most that get them love them.......

.....and get 10K-12K miles on rear, and more on front not uncommon.

"Dats" what i'm talking about!

They're a duel compoung tire,.....harder compound in the center and a bit softer compound on the sides for a bit better traction when leaning. Price is very reasonable also,......never a bad thing!

If you can put them on yourself, a SET (blackwalls) can be found online for $183 or so as i found at "Riders Needs" thru my Amazon storecard account. I'm getting too old to mount my own tires, so i had a local shop order them and do all the swearing to get them mounted!

I have about 900 miles on my set so far,....they still look brand new to my eye. I got caught on the way home a few days ago in a real downpour,......and they were stable with no problems doing 40-45mph (i was in city). Liking them more and more as the weeks "role" by!

Here's one place where the tires were reviewed: http://motorcycletirereviews.com/10-1-spitfireS11.html
        Last edited by Guest; 06-05-2012, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Hi,

Whatever you do, don't get these tires.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I'm gonna go look at some Shinko tires for my 750.
            Are stock sizes or other sizes preferred?
            Any recommendations on where to buy?

Comment

It's not the tires, it's the wheels I'm worried about! Hope that seat is soft!

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
              Hi,

Whatever you do, don't get these tires.

BassCliff

Comment

Are the Shinko 712 tires as good as the 230?
                I can get a set shipped from Bike Bandit for $100.20.
                The 230 tires would be about $124 shipped.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by ValorSolo View Post
                  Are stock sizes or other sizes preferred?
                  Stock sizes, unless you want to mess up the handling.

Any recommendations on where to buy?
                  There is a section in the "mega-welcome" dealing with our favorite tire vendors.

BassCliff

Comment

Never mind. I ordered the 712s.

Comment

Have been impressed by the Michelin Sirac fitted to the rear of my gs750.Heaps of traction especially on dirt roads and equally good on the tarmac to the point of grinding exhausts.Just have to decide which way to go for the front, the battleax is getting a bit long in the tooth so whether or not to do a front Sirac going whole hog adventure bike

Comment

Originally posted by ValorSolo View Post
                        Are the Shinko 712 tires as good as the 230?
                        I can get a set shipped from Bike Bandit for $100.20.
                        The 230 tires would be about $124 shipped.
                        from what i read the 712 are a sportyer tire and the 230 last abit longer but at 53 a rear slight milage dif didnt matter to much to me

Comment

I didn't read any side-by-side comparison, but from what I have read, they are similar.
                          If the 230 had 25% more tread life, it would be worth the extra $24, but I don't think it is that much difference.

Comment

i have the 712 it seems to be a real nice tire a lot like a great dunlop, it is a softer tire though

dunlop elilte/2 are soft fast waring tires, read the tire compound next time, dunlop are great but you need the stiffer tire and it will last longer

Comment

I believe the 230 to be the better tire. For one thing it's rated for higher speeds, which may not be overly important on face value, but that means it's built better and should run cooler. Also, it uses belted construction, which should extend tread life.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If you run your chicken strip to near nothing, then the Shinko 712's will disappoint. I just mounted a set on my GS1000G for less than $100 shipped and after about 500 miles, have had 2 incidents of problems on hard cornering. First I felt a squirm like the rear was letting go but didn't before I corrected and the second today when the rear actually let go(no squirm first) and between the highway peg and my right foot was able to recover and not go down instead of going into a full slide. Both times were on bone dry smooth pavement with no sand. I think the wider tread grooves allow these tires to squirm and possibly let go when leaning hard to the pegs. I will never buy the 712's again, but depending on your riding style may be a good deal for you. The Bridgestone Spitfires and Shinko 230's I've bought held tight on the same hard cornering. I used to like the Avons until some said they had issues with premature cracking and quality control.

Comment

Working...
                                X