need new tires witch ones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
    If you run your chicken strip to near nothing, then the Shinko 712's will disappoint. I just mounted a set on my GS1000G for less than $100 shipped and after about 500 miles, have had 2 incidents of problems on hard cornering. First I felt a squirm like the rear was letting go but didn't before I corrected and the second today when the rear actually let go(no squirm first) and between the highway peg and my right foot was able to recover and not go down instead of going into a full slide. Both times were on bone dry smooth pavement with no sand. I think the wider tread grooves allow these tires to squirm and possibly let go when leaning hard to the pegs. I will never buy the 712's again, but depending on your riding style may be a good deal for you. The Bridgestone Spitfires and Shinko 230's I've bought held tight on the same hard cornering. I used to like the Avons until some said they had issues with premature cracking and quality control.
    Just a follow up:
    I run my tires at 36psi front and 38psi rear. I measured the tire groove width at the edge of the tire on the 712's and it's >1/2" compared to the Spitfires or others I have which are less than 1/4". I think for certain road conditions this would be ok, but dry smooth pavement you have less tire surface contact as you hit the edges on hard cornering than most street tires. Just a theory but I won't push as hard with these 712's based on reality. Again if you're not a hard rider in the curves then they should be fine for the $.

Comment

Working...
    X