Crap..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crap..

Gotta wheel bearing I need to change out of the rear wheel. It's pushed up against the inner spacer and no way to get a punch down on to it. Now what?
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

You have to push the spacer just a wee bit to one side. It doesn't take much space, but you need a good punch with a clean tip.

There are also ways to remove bearings with a slide hammer setup with collets, but that always seems to take longer and half the time these things don't really work very well.

If you're truly stuck, you might try inserting an expandable concrete anchor and then pounding on that.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Warming the wheel helps a great deal too.

Comment

Oh I'm truly stuck, not sure how the bearing got that snug, I always keep some free play on the spacer. I think that is what ruined the bearing is the tightness. I like the concrete anchor thing though.

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        You have to push the spacer just a wee bit to one side. It doesn't take much space, but you need a good punch with a clean tip.

There are also ways to remove bearings with a slide hammer setup with collets, but that always seems to take longer and half the time these things don't really work very well.

If you're truly stuck, you might try inserting an expandable concrete anchor and then pounding on that.
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

can you not knock the other bearing out on the other side so the spacer comes out? if you are going to replace one bearing you may as well replace both
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
            I always keep some free play on the spacer. I think that is what ruined the bearing is the tightness.
            Not sure exactly what you mean by keeping free play on the spacer, but there should not be any free space between the spacer and the bearing. When you tighten the axle, the side pressure should transfer from the outside spacer through the inner bearing race to the spacer, then to the other inner bearing race and outside spacer, keeping any side pressure off of the rollers. If you're leaving space between the bearing and the spacer, you could be applying side pressure to the rollers. I guess the bearing would eventually seat, but not before destroying the rollers. Did you recently replace the bearings? Maybe I'm not understanding what you meant.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
              can you not knock the other bearing out on the other side so the spacer comes out? if you are going to replace one bearing you may as well replace both
              That is a valid point; they both are probably the same age with the same amount of miles on them. And someone on here knows the generic part numbers and sources so you don't have to pay Suzuki prices.

Comment

No, both bearings are tight against the spacer and I had just replaced the bearings about 2 years ago. For some reason the one bearing is becoming rough the other is smooth as a baby's butt. When I installed them I made sure there was some free space with the spacer though not sure how it got tight like that. I even torque it to spec and didn't notice them moving any.

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

get a large screwdriver/prybar/drift in there and tap the spacer sideways a bit so you can get a purchase on the bearing
                  1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Done tried that no go. This is the first time I've had something like this ever happen.
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Originally posted by FLHGSRay View Post
                      Not sure exactly what you mean by keeping free play on the spacer, but there should not be any free space between the spacer and the bearing. When you tighten the axle, the side pressure should transfer from the outside spacer through the inner bearing race to the spacer, then to the other inner bearing race and outside spacer, keeping any side pressure off of the rollers. If you're leaving space between the bearing and the spacer, you could be applying side pressure to the rollers. I guess the bearing would eventually seat, but not before destroying the rollers. Did you recently replace the bearings? Maybe I'm not understanding what you meant.
                      Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                      No, both bearings are tight against the spacer and I had just replaced the bearings about 2 years ago. For some reason the one bearing is becoming rough the other is smooth as a baby's butt. When I installed them I made sure there was some free space with the spacer though not sure how it got tight like that. I even torque it to spec and didn't notice them moving any.

Well, there's your problem -- the bearings have to be installed so the inner race is tight against the spacer.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

That's why your bearing went bad.

If you left a gap between the spacer and bearing, the bearing wasn't fully seated. When you torqued the axle down, it put a side load on the bearing as it closed up that gap you left. That's why your bearing went bad. The spacer needs to be tightly squeezed between the two bearings when you torque the axle.
                        Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2012, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Ugh, time for the torch I guess lol. Yeah I had just replaced the rear bearings about 2 years ago, replaced the front ones as well. I mean the rears have been in the wheel since new though were still smooth and the grease was good. Anyways, once I get this one out, I'll make sure I get it seated like FLHGSRay said.
                          Last edited by mrbill5491; 05-24-2012, 05:57 PM.
                          2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

If you're having that much trouble getting it out, it could be that it got so hot from the side load put on it, that it welded in place. I've seen it happen on cars, never on a bike.

Comment

Nope not welded. Just tight. I pulled the rubber seal off to take a look see at the bearing, grease was fine. Did find a couple balls that had flat spots on them probably the reason for the roughness I felt. I'm thinking a couple of flawed balls got past inspection.

Originally posted by FLHGSRay View Post
                              If you're having that much trouble getting it out, it could be that it got so hot from the side load put on it, that it welded in place. I've seen it happen on cars, never on a bike.
                              2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Working...
                              X