Total Suspension newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total Suspension newbie

I just purchased some rear Emgo shocks via the newmotorcycleparts.com website for my 81 GS650E.

I installed the shocks using the "bigger hole" rubber inserts. I hope that term is right as I am a complete newbie to motorcycle suspension.

As soon as I took it off the center stand I noticed a difference, the bike sits a little higher, I can get both tip toes down when sitting before I could get all my toes and portion of foot.

I went for a ride and it felt pretty good, but I THINK It feels like the rear end is almost going to come out on some turns. The rear end feels loose. Kind of scares me..Also my front forks dive hard whenever I touch the front brakes, they are probably shot as I doubt they have been changed since stock.

What is the little tool thing that comes with the shocks? It looks like a little hook with an end on it. I am sure it adjusts the shock, but I have no idea how.

You bought shocks with extremely strong springs, they will break your ass and make the bike handle like crap as you have discovered. Use that hook shaped tool to loosen the preload all the way, it might help a little bit. The front springs are likely sagged and much too soft when compared to the super hard springs you now have on the rear, it will handle crappy until you get the spring rates matched a little better. There are all types of springs and spring rates available. Do some research on here before buying any more stuff.

Edit, I see you did ask and were told the Emgo shocks were crap.

Enjoy the harsh ride and out of control bike you earned by saving a buck or two.
    Last edited by tkent02; 05-25-2012, 02:27 PM.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/Tkent02/VisitedStatesMap-1.jpg[/IMG]

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      You bought shocks with extremely strong springs, they will break your ass and make the bike handle like crap as you have discovered. Use that hook shaped tool to loosen the preload all the way, it might help a little bit. The front springs are likely sagged and much too soft when compared to the super hard springs you now have on the rear, it will handle crappy until you get the spring rates matched a little better. There are all types of springs and spring rates available. Do some research on here before buying any more stuff.
      How do you loosen the preload all the way?

Well I bought these as I assumed a new shock would be better than a 30 year old one..

My bad for not doing enough "research" and having $300 for some "great" shock.

Sorry, you just sound like a dick.

Comment

Originally posted by GS650E_81 View Post
        How do you loosen the preload all the way?

Well I bought these as I assumed a new shock would be better than a 30 year old one..

My bad for not doing enough "research" and having $300 for some "great" shock.

Sorry, you just sound like a dick.
        You're the dick who's stuck with the crappy shocks, while my bikes all ride smooth as silk.
        By the way, $200 will get a mediocre shock. For $300 -$500 they get pretty good. A quality ride costs money.
        I wouldn't put Emgos on a parts bike.
        [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/Tkent02/VisitedStatesMap-1.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

You're the dick who's stuck with the crappy shocks, while my bikes all ride smooth as silk.
          By the way, $200 will get a mediocre shock. For $300 -$500 they get pretty good. A quality ride costs money.
          I wouldn't put Emgos on a parts bike.

Fair enough, good thing god created ebay...

Amazing how 30 year old shocks still just....work.

Comment

Can someone tell me how to adjust the preload? Going to try that before I throw them on ebay.

Comment

I could, but I'm a dick.

Comment

I could, but I'm a dick.
                Yeppppppp

Comment

They should have come with a spanner tool. Looks like a big C with a handle on it. That hooks into the notches on the shock, you move the ring with it to either ramp the adjuster ring up (add pre-load) or down (remove pre-load).
                  Yes those shocks are very stiff. Damping also isn't great. But they're better than the 30 yr old sacked out crap that was on the bike.

Now, if you wanna "go fast" on curved roads...suspension set up and tires are the most important aspects of that...

Comment

Here is how to adjust the preload:
                    Adjusting preload
                    Do you see the notches just above the A B C?
                    Those notches are what the wrench fits in. When it is correctly inserted the wrench will wrap tightly around the curvature of the shock cylinder.
                    The A setting is the lowest preload, the C is the highest. If you look at the picture, C puts the most pressure on the spring, increasing the preload. And vice-versa.
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-25-2012, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Watch the bushings on those too, I've put maybe 500 miles on my cheopo shocks and the bushings they came with got completely destroyed in no time, metal on metal actually. Came up with a temporary fix to get me by modifying some Dorman shock bushings I got at the parts store. My 33 y/o shocks were toast and not a "shock" anymore, one thing's for sure, start saving up for some good shocks, not only will they last longer, they'll be good for your body too.

Comment

Weight in at 300 pounds, I may need to adjust the preload?

Thanks to all those who replied. I understand that I made a "cheap" choice on the shock, granted the bike cost me $1000 and I have put over $400 into carb rebuild and misc. pieces, I am trying to pinch pennies.

Maybe later in life I will splurge and buy a nice set.

I hope this set does not kill me

As far as carving corners goes, that is great fun, buy I have only been riding for about a month and a half or so, so for now I am no speed demon. Never really wanted to blast a corner at 100+, I could of bought a crotch rocket for that.

Comment

Temporary "fix" for the front forks to become closer to matching the rear shocks,
                          would be to add a 5/8" spacer made from PCV pipe to the top of the front springs.
                          Also would be a great idea to at least drain the front forks and add some fresh 15wt. fork oil to them.
                          With your weight, that should help a little at least.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                            Temporary "fix" for the front forks to become closer to matching the rear shocks,
                            would be to add a 5/8" spacer made from PCV pipe to the top of the front springs.
                            Also would be a great idea to at least drain the front forks and add some fresh 15wt. fork oil to them.

Eric
                            Sounds good.

How do I drain the oil? This is my first ever motorcycle, I am a total newbie to a lot of stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post

Eric
                              I'm about 186 lbs in weight, and with the stock springs on my low milage '82 GS850GL, just changed the fork oil out to some 20 wt "PJ1" Fork Oil.
                              The service manual calls for 15 wt, and that might be fine on a new bike and fresh stock springs.

.....with your weight and old stock springs i might go up to 20 wt fork oil also. The ride seems more controlled to me, and just a touch stiffer than the ride with what was probably the original 30 year old fork oil.

It might better balance your stiffer rear shocks for now also. 1 pt of fork oil is cheap,....about $8.00, so if you need to you can experiment a bit with different fork oil weights.

Comment

Working...
                              X