No announcement yet.

Total Suspension newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nobody says you have to go 100mph to carve corners. All anyone is trying to tell you is get good shocks to handle any thing you encounter on any road.

I know how tight money is right now. It took me two years of waiting before I got good shocks on my bike because I didn't have enough cash early on. But instead of buying cheap things, I dealt with the stocks until I could afford a set of Hagons. At $200 they weren't cheap but I bought them at a time when I could afford it. They ride well (course Dayton's roads are crap) and I'm glad I put the money into my suspension.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Many members have run Emgo shocks. Had some myself for a while Are they a great choice? No. But yes they are better (though to another extreme) than 30-year-old stockers. At first it's like going from way too loose to hard-tail. When I trailered my bike to the RRR a couple of years ago with pretty fresh Emgos, the rear of the bike hardly moved getting strapped down! They're known to loosen up a bit, but it's going to take a few hundred miles.

The bushings are a known weak point of the Emgos. Forum searches will get you more info, but basically they'll start to split after some miles, and are soft out of the gate. If you still have your stock shocks you can beat/press the bushings out of those and press those into the Emgo eyes in place of the included bushings. Or there are some bushings available from most auto parts stores that will work better.

Comment

Yeah I'd highly suggest drilling the rubber out from around your stock shocks mounting sleeves and using those in the new shocks vs the plastic sleeves they send. Those will break quickly, and then the rubber bushings will be destroyed and the bike will ride pretty damn scary after that. If that sounds like a bit too much work, then perhaps finding some copper tubing (easy to cut) or better still, steel tubing to make sleeves from would be another option. Just remember that whatever you do, there can be no "slop" in the sleeve when sitting on the mounting stud.

If ya need any help, lemme know. I live near Springboro, so you could always shoot up here and we can sort it out

Comment

Hi,

I'm using the cheap EMGO shock on my bike. The "bushings" that are included with those shocks are dangerous. I replace mine with every new rear tire using generic rubber bushings from the auto parts store. Have a look at this thread.

Yes, I'm saving my pennies for a pair of Hagons (or maybe Progressives) for a little more than $200. Have a look at the shock/spring section of the "mega-welcome" to refresh your memory of available solutions.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks a lot all for the responses. Super helpful with the replies.

As I am super new to this stuff, I didn't even use the plastic bushing inserts as I had no idea what they were! Looks like I will be taking off the shocks and trying to force out the bushings from the old ones...wish me luck.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              Yeah I'd highly suggest drilling the rubber out from around your stock shocks mounting sleeves and using those in the new shocks vs the plastic sleeves they send. Those will break quickly, and then the rubber bushings will be destroyed and the bike will ride pretty damn scary after that. If that sounds like a bit too much work, then perhaps finding some copper tubing (easy to cut) or better still, steel tubing to make sleeves from would be another option. Just remember that whatever you do, there can be no "slop" in the sleeve when sitting on the mounting stud.

If ya need any help, lemme know. I live near Springboro, so you could always shoot up here and we can sort it out

I may take you up on that offer.

I have not rode on the highways yet, but I am sure I can find a back road to your place .

I may PM you here in the next few weekends and see if we can get together.

Comment

I just used a bolt/nut through the bushings of the old shocks with some washers enough to cover about half the rubber. Then beat the long end a few times with a hammer to pop them out. You get the whole bushing then with the metal sleeve. The old ones fit my Emgos quite well.

Comment

If your watching fleebay look out for these names: Ohlins, Marzocchi, Ikon, Koni, WP and Ceriani, sometimes you can get a good deal, and they are the top-shelf brands you really really really want for christmas. Even 30 years old all they need is a rebuild/tuning and they are better then anything else.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

I removed the bushings from the old original shocks and put them in the new ones. I have yet to adjust thepreload. I will try that once I get some more time.

I got roasted good this weekend, so I am laying back today. I should have invested in some sunscreen

Comment

Bad picture of the bike from the rear with the new shocks.

I was in the garage and a little buzzed, so focus is bad..

Comment

Just noticed this morning when I took the bike out of the garage and let it sit on kickstand and started it up with full choke.

The oil light appears to turn on and off. Would new springs cause the oil level light to come on???

Weird.

Comment

AFAIK the oil light will come on at first start, and will turn off, once pressure is built up and the oil is flowing correctly

Comment

Well it turns on and off.

I think not enough oil is getting moved around as it is sitting on the stand...once I mount the bike and sit it seems to go away..

I might add a little more oil.

Comment

If you go adding oil, do it after checking the level on the center stand not the side stand.
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I've been shopping around for shocks and one thing I've figured out, if you are looking at Progressives at Dennis Kirk (I haven't found another retailer that sells them yet), is that they don't list anything for a base model 750 (and probably likewise for 550/1000s). I went to the Progressive site and looked up my model and found what works, plugged it into DK, and their page said it doesn't work with my model.... so long story short if you have a base model GS from '77-79, just select the 'E' option... it will work. The GS series is listed under either 'cruiser' or 'cafe racer'. They're not entirely in touch with reality there...

That being said they're out of stock right now, I hope they get some soon or I may really HAVE to order Emgos for now no matter what Kent the Sociopath thinks.

Oh ya one more option is I will price a set of Hagons at Dave Quinn's and see how that goes. The Progressives will be ~$250 from DK, we'll see if they're close. No WAY am I paying 3-4 hundred bucks for shocks from Ikon or Works... if I want a sport bike I'll actually go BUY a real sport bike.
                                "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Working...
                                X