Help with rear shocks ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with rear shocks ID

I bought my 78 GS with these Progressive Suspension shocks on the back. At first I thought they were siezed because I couldnt get them to compress at all. I took the springs off and cleaned the shafts and found they were rust free and moved freely but needed quite a bit of pressure to make them move. The numbers on the shock body do no correspond with any Progressive Suspension has in a current catalogue. As a matter of fact the shock body has the S&W insignia stamped in the side which reminds me of my S&W strokers from back in the day. The upper plastic covers (i took them off for looks) had the PS decals on them. I am looking to soften up the rear by either swapping the 2 piece springs for a single progressive or buying some other shocks altogether. I would like to find out about these so I can at least try and sell them. Does anyone have any leads as to where I can find some info? My guess is that they are PS shocks from the early eighties.

I cant reload the pic so here is the original link
    Last edited by Guest; 05-25-2012, 09:13 PM.

They look like S&W spring setup not progressives... Progressive don't use 2 springs like that.

I would suspect they are S&W but perhaps with a set of the plastic bits from a progressive shock. Strange!
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

That sure helps! I will continue my search with the phrase S&W rather than Progressive? Brilliant!

Comment

Where is this picture of the rear shocks?
        I looked through the linked thread and did not find it.
        eye-to-eye or eye-to clevis? Center-to-center of the mounts?

Eric

Comment

Its midway down on page 2 of the thread (small pic). Turns out Progressive bought out S&W maybe these were hybrids. It looks like Progressive springs will fit, now to determine the rate.........

Comment

Do they look like these? (Without the D.O.T. tape around the top cap)

Or with flash...

Eric

Comment

Identical!

Comment

How much do you want for them?

Eric

Comment

Make me an offer I cant refuse. but before you do let me take some more pics so you can be sure you want them. The shafts are perfect and the dampening works perfectly through the stroke. The powder coat on the springs is pretty good but its falling off the top collar and preload adjuster.

Comment

What parts were you looking for again?
                    850 piston, valve shims, head light or headlight ears and what else?

Eric

Comment

I got the pistons this week and I am good on parts right now, but let me think on it for a bit. I could use a front master cylinder from a newer model twin caliper Suzuki for my SV650 caliper set up.

Comment

I should have that covered.
                        Let me check my stash tomorrow.

Eric

Comment

Those shocks would be the old Street Strokers no? Good shocks, mine are 28 years old, though replacing them now.

Originally posted by rwcfrank View Post
                          Identical!
                          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                          X