Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got Me A "Blackie",....Rear Wheel Spline, That Is! Cheap!! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got Me A "Blackie",....Rear Wheel Spline, That Is! Cheap!! :)

Although my 1982 GS850GL has shown no current problems in the rear spline, after reading all the info here on the subject i've come to realize it's only a matter of time until i will.

Just a bit over 14,200 miles now, and i've been looking on ebay for a few weeks for a "reasonably" priced early (hardened) spline.

Only problem is,.....usually the ones you see are $60 or $70 plus shipping of $30 or more, BECAUSE the spline is attached to the rear wheel!

The early rear wheels/tires are of no use to me, because mostly i'm seeing 17" size when my bike has a 16" rear rim.
    And i have a conplete 2nd parts bike as well as a 3rd rear wheel/final drive unit, which unfortunately is also of later (soft steel) vintage spline.

Soooooo, i've been sending out feelers to sellers as to the splines condition, since you really can't see much detail from a general pic on ebay. I also request that they might consider selling the rear spline alone, and the rim separate in order to possibly recieve a higher total price. The shipping on just the spline is substantially less than a wheel or wheel/tire combo!

Last night, FINALLY,.... one gentleman was kind enough to send me off some pics of the spline that he actually removed from a 1979 GS850GL rear wheel (21K miles on it), cleaned up and sent pics of. The wheel and spline were originally listed for $60.00 and FREE shipping, which was better than most i've seen.

He offered the spline to me for just $25.00 ..... SHIPPED!

Needless to say the spline is now paid for, and will be shipped out on tuesday after the holiday.

I've been kind of easy on the throttle, trying to baby the weak spline a bit until i could find a good one. I wish i had found it about 3 weeks ago, when i had both tires replaced they could have switched out the spline at that time.

Looks like i have another small project in front of me!

So after maybe 6 requests of sellers and all not wanting to bother, one finally took the time and trouble to offer some real service! I'll give repeat business to that seller for sure, whenever i can!

Here are some pics:

Last edited by Guest; 05-27-2012, 10:27 PM.
Working...
X