Losing all fork air?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Losing all fork air?

Filled my forks with about 15 lbs of air couple of days ago, noticed that fork toolbag was low on forks again so knew I had lost the air. Tightened everything down this morning before work (air stem and fork cap). Of course snapped one of the nipples off trying to get chrome cap off it, so had to steal one from my son's bike for now. Put about 15# in again and didn't make it down the street till all air was gone again! Plan on replacing entire air stem (if I can find it-or at least the inside of it and the very small rubber washer at the bottom) and I already have the large o-rings which go around the bottom of the fork cap. Any other ideas what might cause this loss? My fork seals are about two years old, but I didn't think it would lose air through there. Also there is no sign of any oil coming from around seals. terrylee

Only two or three places it can leak. A bit of soapy water will eliminate the first two.
    A pit or rock dent in a tube will allow air to escape and followed soon by oil

Comment

Did the soap, water trick on the air stem and the larger top cap and couldn't see any leaks. Checked the fork seals and saw no oil at all and not any air leaks either. But as soon as I sit on the bike the forks drop and you can tell air is all gone. Found a set of progressive springs for $71. shipped, think I'll go that way and not worry about air anymore. Although may have to try to lower forks as I have them now, I'm so short I won't be able to touch much at full frt. fork height. terrylee

Comment

Working...
      X