YIKES!!! Tire Slice Discovered on New Rear Tire When Updating Spline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
    The dealer, no doubt, got the tires from Parts Unlimited and THEY DO IN FACT STRAP TWO TIRES TOGETHER that are ordered ay the same time!
    What a crock of sh*t!
    And he KNOWS it!!!!

Eric
    Well,.....this dealer is in Colonie (upstate New York), and he gets his tires in on a delivery truck next day. So not sure if that supplier is close to allow next day delivery without using expensive overnight methods?

Edit: Just got a phone call from the tire dealer to let me know the tire won't be in for maybe 3 days,.....guess the local supplier was out of stock and it's coming from Arizona according to the dealer.

.......my only registered bike so i'll not be riding for awhile more,......bummer! I was planning on going to the Americade rally yesterday (Sunday),.....but discovered the slit the night before while doing the spline changeover.

......feels like i'm going into "Withdrawal"
    Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2012, 02:05 PM.

Comment

130/90-16 (or MT90-16) rear tires are as common as pig tracks -- they're used on many Harley models.

If you want to ride this weekend, visit your local Hardley-Ableson shop, get a tire mounted (they'll probably do it while-u-wait and give you free coffee and pastries whilst you peruse the do-rags and assless chaps), and go ride.

Unless you're doing your Valentino Rossi imitation (and from your un-upgraded shocks and fork springs, I'm guessing not) you'll never notice a bit of difference from the Bridgestone up front vs. what will likely be a Dunlop out back.

Life's too short to sit around waiting on some asshat to remember to order your tire. And it's definitely too short to do any more business with said asshat.

You're a lot more tolerant than I would have been!
      Last edited by bwringer; 06-11-2012, 03:56 PM.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

arizona, huh? sounds like southwest moto tire to me.
        1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          130/90-16 (or MT90-16) rear tires are as common as pig tracks -- they're used on many Harley models.

If you want to ride this weekend, visit your local Hardley-Ableson shop, get a tire mounted (they'll probably do it while-u-wait and give you free coffee and pastries whilst you peruse the do-rags and assless chaps), and go ride.

Unless you're doing your Valentino Rossi imitation (and from your un-upgraded shocks and fork springs, I'm guessing not) you'll never notice a bit of difference from the Bridgestone up front vs. what will likely be a Dunlop out back.

Life's too short to sit around waiting on some asshat to remember to order your tire. And it's definitely too short to do any more business with said asshat.

You're a lot more tolerant than I would have been!
          I've grown more tolerant as i've aged, not to say i like the situation as it's unfolded. I kinda expected we'd both eat a more equal portion of the new tire cost, instead of me picking up the vast majority.

Not sure how he's expecting to be losing money on this tire at $99 installed & balanced? The wheel is already off, so the labor on his end to mount it is less than MY labor (timewise) to remove & replace the wheel, not even counting the cleanup & lube of the spline componants. My labor is worthless???

I mentioned the dry spline also, and asked why the tire changer didn't lube the obviously dry splines. He stated when they change out a tire, they ONLY do the tire.

......logically, i asked him how a customer, who may never get the wheel off on his own, (not me, obviously), is supposed to "know" there is a need for addition attention?

......he didn't have an answer.

A call to the customer recommending some lube be applied, even at additional cost to cover proper cleaning off the old lube and material applied, should be the LEAST a tire dealer should do.

The fact i spent $386.00 there (about $200 more than the same 2 tires on the internet cost at the time) warrants that minimal detail be disclosed to the customer while the wheel is off and accessable. Whether the customer chooses the addition service and cost shouldn't matter,...... disclosure and opportunity to have it done is the point.

As far as getting a tire sooner somewhere else, the problem is i'd like that specific tire,....the Bridgestone Spitfire S11(R) to match the front S11(F). I know what to expect in handling both wet and dry,.....and also i really was impressed at how it looked after 1125 miles. I don't want to be changing tires every season,....or even every other season. Three to 4 years between replacement sounds good to me!

Waiting a few days i'll adjust to,.....hopefully by thursday i'll be all set.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2012, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Before letting a shop mount a tire, I examine every square inch, inside and out. And I re-examine the outside after mounting the tire on the wheel, but before putting it on the vehicle. Examining tires is exceedingly boring work, and it is easy for someone who does it all day to get so bored that he loses concentration and misses defects.
            sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
              Before letting a shop mount a tire, I examine every square inch, inside and out. And I re-examine the outside after mounting the tire on the wheel, but before putting it on the vehicle. Examining tires is exceedingly boring work, and it is easy for someone who does it all day to get so bored that he loses concentration and misses defects.
              You said a mouthfull brother,.......it won't happen a 2nd time!

Comment

I had the brand new stock front tire on my 750 develop a bubble the size of a quarter on the side of the tread area. Bike had less than 1K on it. I worked at a dealership at the time and i still couldn't get Suzuki to replace it. What was worse was, it hard to get any 16 inch front tires then. Had to wait two weeks for one.
                Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Well,....got a call from JD Tire this morning at about 8:20AM,.....woke me up ( i had gone to bed at 4:15AM
                  or so) ,...... but my new tire was in!

Got dressed and was over at the store in 10 minutes,.....and was out of the store in less than 15 minutes!

The dealer said he was sorry "it" happened,......after i had paid the $109.42 total with tax. I took the damaged
                  tire with me,....figuring i could donate it to a playground to be used on a swing maybe?

......and that's why i was a bit surprised with the $2.50 added on labled as "waste tire management fee?
                  It is possible there's a federal or state requirement for the fee to be paid upon tire replacement,.....even
                  if the owner takes the tire. We all know how many of these tires end up alongside the highway that DOT
                  has to deal with later!

First thing i did was give the new tire a pretty good "scan" out in the parking lot (within eyeshot of the office),
                  followed by a really close going over at home with my jewelry 2 1/2X bifocal headband magnifier!

.....new rear tire looked perfect so i put a healthy coating of the Honda moly 60 lube on the now squeaky-clean splines
                  (both parts), and began the wheel mounting. I was careful getting everything double checked and tightened
                  down,......so maybe an hour later the wheel was "good to go"!

Unfortunately, the bike was NOT!

No one to blame but me, but since i had a few days pause waiting for the tire to come in, i decided to take
                  out the battery box and clean the engine ground just in front of it......

.......and the problem was i went beyond my area of expertise and "pay grade", and added a 2nd (back up)
                  ground with lovely soldered on ring connectors protected with shrink wrap near the ends. Used some of the
                  10 guage black wire i had left over from doing the FH012AA Mosfet R/R upgrade last week.

I figured the soldered connections would be a great addition to the original ground leaving the same point
                  on the engine, and as i followed the original ground wire found it connected to the starting solenoid. (probably
                  an 8 or 6 guage wire originally there).

Anyway, i didn't remove the 1st ground wire, but when i added the newly made 2nd ground wire to the SAME
                  connection point on the solenoid all i got was a clicking sound,.....no starter turnover!

OK,......while i'm trying to figure out WHY a 2nd ground wire from "point A" to "point B" might be causing this,
                  (in my mind it "should" be a better ground,....having soldered on ring connectors?), i decide to unhook the extra
                  engine ground from the solenoid to make sure that was the problem.

Off it comes, and now the solenoid works fine and the engine cranks over fine and starts right up.

But what to do with that NEW, perfectly good engine ground? The answer should have been,....
                  ........."Rip the $#@!%&!! OUT!"

......but i didn't,......i made the biggest mistake yet on any of my bike wrenching. Please keep it on the
                  downlow , but if my mistake will prevent just one of you from making the same one,....my "shame" will
                  have had some meaning.

I decided to give the battery box a "great ground, and attached the new wire as a backup to the right side
                  screw of the starting solenoid,....the black wire/white stripe one that i "thought" was a simple ground. This
                  is the screw that you take out to allow the left side battery box componany plate to come off.

......attached it here along with the original (ground?), where the screwdriver is pointing:

......key on, engine starts, and a PLUME OF SMOKE rises from beneath my gas tank!

WTF???? Key QUICKLY turned off,......and then began a FIVE HOUR tour through my wiring harness to find
                  the damage.,.....geeze.

I take out the battery and b/box, gas tank and side covers also, and found that original black/white stripe
                  wire (pic above) had melted much of it's insulation,.....and about 6 inches into my following the damaged
                  wire found it had totally melted thru the copper wire.

....... opening up the wire harness further i was grateful to finally see the END of the damage. (maybe 15" into
                  the wiring harness)That was where there is a 3 wire crimp connect junction, and i soldered on a new black/white
                  stripe wire i had (from an old turn signal), and carefully sealed it up.

After the obvious damage was repaired, i spent another hour with my magnifying headband closely inspecting
                  all the other wires that the melting wire came in contact with. It was mostly just pieces of the melted wire
                  sticking to several of the other wires,.....and i found none of them compromised in their own insulation covering.

Anyway,.....once i spent the additional 5 hours repairing my self-imposed disaster,.....i am happy to report the
                  bike is now fixed and running strong as before!

Tonight i went on a 45 mile ride to scuff up the new rear tire a bit. (and check out my repair is case i missed
                  something) Beautiful weather today,.....75 degrees, 50% humidity, and sunny........

.....but i'm beat!

BTW,....if anyone knows definitively what went wrong here,.....please let me know.

cheers,
                  Joe T

BTW,.....i think i'll repost this in the electrical/ignition forum,....to allow folks to find it easier, and allow me to post pictures related to this "experience".

Edit: Thread here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=194891
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-14-2012, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Maybe it's not a good idea having two grounds in the same place?? No idea here. The way I have my bike grounded is: battery to engine case, R/R to battery and R/R to other side of engine case. No problems.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by joejeweler View Post
                      ..........and that's why i was a bit surprised with the $2.50 added on labled as "waste tire management fee? It is possible there's a federal or state requirement for the fee to be paid upon tire replacement,.....even if the owner takes the tire....
                      The fee is legitimate if the dealer disposes of the tire. Scrap tires are very difficult for standard landfills to handle, for many reasons. For decades, most tires were sent to specialized disposal sites that accumulated mountains of tires. When the mountains get big enough, the pressure, slow oxidation rate of oils in the tires, and insulating ability of rubber leads to auto-ignition fires. Tire mountains can burn for years at a time, with small rivers of black oil coming out of them.

Because of these messes, governments require some other type of tire disposal. I don't know what that is.

You should not be charged for disposing a tire that you still have.
                      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
                        The fee is legitimate if the dealer disposes of the tire. Scrap tires are very difficult for standard landfills to handle, for many reasons. For decades, most tires were sent to specialized disposal sites that accumulated mountains of tires. When the mountains get big enough, the pressure, slow oxidation rate of oils in the tires, and insulating ability of rubber leads to auto-ignition fires. Tire mountains can burn for years at a time, with small rivers of black oil coming out of them.

Because of these messes, governments require some other type of tire disposal. I don't know what that is.

You should not be charged for disposing a tire that you still have.
                        .....for sure,....IF the dealer disposes of the tire. As i mentioned though i took the damaged tire back with me. (1100 miles on it)

Possibly it is an automatic software addition when they punch in a tire sale, and he missed it. I noticed it on the
                        detailed invoice in in the car, but was not going back over $2.50 to get a credit on my CC for that.

......been there enough over the last few days!

Comment

Working...
                        X