Which forks to use? GS1000 or GS1100 forks on a GS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which forks to use? GS1000 or GS1100 forks on a GS1100

I purchased a 81 GS1100E and I have a choice of forks I can use. I ride a 80 GS1000 and I really like the way it handles. I noticed that the stock forks on the 1100 are a leading axle but are adjustable and the 1000 forks have the axle on the bottom. Since I have a choice I wanted some input from the gurus on this site which way I should go.

If you change to leading axle forks, you also need to change the triple trees.

The offset is different, you need to maintain the correct geometry.

The triples for the leading axle forks will be back a bit, might hit the tank at full lock, so check before you commit to them.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That's a good thing to know. The tripple trees on the bike appear to be the stock ones and someone has put the gs1000 forks on the bike. When I picked it up the guy gave me the stock set but they werent on it. I like the idea of adjustable forks but just didnt know if it really worked or if they were more of a gimmic. I have anti-dive forks on my seca and they kinda work but I completely went through them and cleaned them up.

Comment

I believe the GS 1100 forks worked much better than the GS 1000 ones.
        If my memory serves me well, there was an article in Cycle or Cycle World in those days that compared both.
        Maybe I can find the article for you?
        sigpicJohn Kat
        My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
        GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

I would love to read that article.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-15-2012, 11:32 AM.

Comment

There is less friction in the newer forks, and the adjustments do work.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thats good to know also. thanks. but with the leading axle forks doesnt that make the rake slightly more and the wheel base longer so the bike turns or responds slower?

Comment

Originally posted by bomber737 View Post
                I would live to read that article.
                I searched for the article but couldn't find it
                sigpicJohn Kat
                My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
                GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Originally posted by bomber737 View Post
                  Thats good to know also. thanks. but with the leading axle forks doesnt that make the rake slightly more and the wheel base longer so the bike turns or responds slower?
                  Nope.. The geometry despite appearances is identical.

Leading axle forks have the same rake and trail as the straight leg forks..

L tress has no added rake.. they run parallel to the headstock same as the E

The L trees have 1" less offset than E trees to make up for the position of the leading axle and maintain the same trail.

You want to be careful mixing trees.. E legs in L trees will add to to the trail and give you slower steering.
                  L legs in E trees would shorten the trail and speed steering.. Possibly dangerously short.
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2012, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I guess I will probably use the stock adjustable forks and see how I like them. And I was planning on using the correct trees for the forks I use. I will be putting new bearings in the head anyway, I refresh all the bearings in the whole bike every project I do. They cost very little and give me piece of mind.

Comment

Working...
                    X