rear tire size smaller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear tire size smaller?

i have a 130 90 17 on my 850...i had a passenger a while ago and it rubber the fender pretty damn good...

my springs were set for a load (all the way up)

can i run a 130-80 or 70? will it make any differnce?

nvm cant seem to find nothing other then a 130-90

Comment

Are you sure your shocks are the right length?

Stock shocks are pretty close to 13" from eye to eye.

Sorry, I don't read "text", what's "nvm"?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Are you sure your shocks are the right length?

Stock shocks are pretty close to 13" from eye to eye.

Sorry, I don't read "text", what's "nvm"?

yep there stock..nvm is nevermind...habit of typing like that from texting an online games..sorry

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post

i had a passenger a while ago and it rubber the fender pretty damn good...
          Just how big was she?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Just how big was she?
            lmao...well i took that into factor...maybe i was overloaded lol...i just wasnt 100% sure

i kinda got stuck with her...but my buddy on his cbr got the small chick...so i had a nice view while i was struggling to keep up an not blow a tire when i hit a bump

but i was nice an took her for a ride

anyone know the rider(s)/cargo weight limit? (81 850)

Comment

GVWR is stamped into the pad on the steering stem.
              IIRC it is about 320 pounds. Hope that you are running V-rated tires.

Edit, the 320 is the weight of passengers and gear!

Eric
              Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2012, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Ask Chris Sorbi.
                I think he's up to about 1600 lbs.
                But it's OK, he's dirt riding most of the time.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                  GVWR is stamped into the pad on the steering stem.
                  IIRC it is about 320 pounds. Hope that you are running V-rated tires.

Edit, the 320 is the weight of passengers and gear!

Eric
                  yea i was over 320...me along being 275 ish...i have a h rated currently..which is about time for a new one in another 500-1000 miles

current tire is a skino 712 front an rear both H rated(i rarley do over 100)

Comment

It is not so much the speed rating of the tires as it is the build quality of the tires.
                    V-rated tires are both rated for sustained higher speeds (which means for more than an hour at the rated speed BTW)
                    but also the construction of the tire is stronger and weight rating is also higher per each.

Apparently, a lot of difference between brands of the same size/rating also!

Pirelli Sport Demon 130/90-17V...

Skinko 230 130/90-17V...

A difference like those two, could mean the difference between life and death.

Eric
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2012, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                      It is not so much the speed rating of the tires as it is the build quality of the tires.
                      V-rated tires are both rated for sustained higher speeds (which means for more than an hour at the rated speed BTW)
                      but also the construction of the tire is stronger and weight rating is also higher per each.

Eric
                      gotcha..i found a v rated for a few bucks more...ill try it next

Comment

See my edited post. I went out and took some SURPRISING pictures!
                        I wasn't aware of the large difference between those two tires myself.

Eric

Comment

Tires are entirely beside the point -- you need to upgrade your shocks pronto.

30 years ago, the stock shocks were perhaps sufficient for a 120 pound Japanese test rider. They're badly undersprung for the average American, let alone the above-average American. Add in a passenger, and things are distinctly ungood.

I'm about the same size as you, and carrying a passenger is no problemo with the proper springs and shocks installed. I'm using Progressive 12 series shocks with 120/170 springs.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                            I'm about the same size as you, and carrying a passenger is no problemo with the proper springs and shocks installed. I'm using Progressive 12 series shocks with 120/170 springs.
                            I use the same shocks, weigh much (100 pounds?) less and they are PERFECT for taking jumps on the second pre-load setting.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                            X