Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buy new tires or use what I have for now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy new tires or use what I have for now?

Not sure what to do with tires that came on my bike. The production code says they were made in 2006. They are dunlops with ZERO cracks , tread still has nubs on it so I'd say they have almost zero miles on them and I can easily push my finger nail into the tread. I know many will say is your life worth XXX and I understand that philosophy. I'm just looking to get this bike running and see how it is before I dump any xtra cash into it and it won't be ridden much at all this year. Bike (77 gs750) was given to me for free and could almost be considered a parts bike to some but compression is 140-150 across all cylinders and everything works. Looking for opinions

If they pass visual inspection, hold air and have sufficient tread I would run them. That is my opinion. Make sure you check the valve stem and core. No need to overlook that.

Comment

It must have been stored indoors, out of the sun. I'd ride it, but I'd keep an eye on it too.
      Realize the rubber may be hard and traction may be lacking, and keep checking for cracks. Wouldn't do any long high speed trips on it either.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Certainly good enough for your current purposes of getting it running and such, plus some easy riding

Once you get to that point, you can decide if you want to change them
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks for the opinions. Compared tires to new ones and new rubber is much softer so I'll ride them lightly. I will definitely get new tires once bike is 100%.

Comment

Sounds like your tires are just fine, no ozone cracks and that. If those tire were in my area at that age they would be replaced period. The heat here has a way of hardening tires.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Just got a new bike and I'm curious of the same. Are the cracks pretty easy to spot from visual inspection? Also Razor mentioned checking the stems and core, what damage/wear should I be looking for?

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              It must have been stored indoors, out of the sun. I'd ride it, but I'd keep an eye on it too.
              Realize the rubber may be hard and traction may be lacking, and keep checking for cracks. Wouldn't do any long high speed trips on it either.

Comment

Working...
              X