Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on fork springs.

Greetings,

I need some opinions regarding my forks. I have a 79 850G, purchased last year...with a Kutter fairing... but soon to install my Vetter fairing. There is a small luggage box on the back rack. I don't have saddle bags, but have not ruled it out. I weigh about 157 lbs. 14,000 miles on the bike. Wife weighs about 125-ish.

Left fork seal is leaking. Otherwise forks appear in good condition. I want to do a rebuild and I talked with Bwringer briefly about the Sonic springs. I've also heard about the progressives.

On the highway in traffic, semis, etc. and in windy conditions the bike handles like poo. ...lots of movement in front end... getting beat up by the wind. I dont recall any of this from when I had my first 79 850 back in 79. I recently pumped up the air to 17 lbs and it is a bit better, but not great. The back shocks are original.

Sonic springs come in :

GS850 0.90kg/mm Sonic SpringsGS850 1.00kg/mm Sonic SpringsGS850 1.10kg/mm Sonic Springs

Progressives seem to have one size for the 850.

I don't push this bike super hard, but do like to have some fun in the turns from time to time.

I'd like some opinions as to what might work well.

Thanks,

TP

I'm getting the sonic 1.1kgs, I weigh 320lbs+ and ride on some rough roads, My forks are pretty much shot right now and trucks don't blow me around.
    Although, until I noticed my front axle nut was loose it DID handle like poo passing trucks.
    I'd check other things too, like bearings.
    Then again both my forks are shot, not just one, that would be interesting!

Tank

Comment

With either brand of springs, add enough pre-load to make you happy.
      Especially with all of the added weight of the fairing.
      BTW, I have 2-3 sets of each brand in some of my bikes.

Eric

Comment

Use the calculator on Sonic's site to find out for sure, but I suspect at your weight you'll end up with the .90 springs.

The weight of the fairing is a factor, so add 30-40 pounds to the bike weight.

You could also use Progressives, but I think Sonic's straight-rate springs would give you more control and less brake dive.

Fresh 10W or 15W oil at the correct levels will also go a long way toward controlling the front end..

There are also several other things to check along the way, of course -- tire, bearings, axle, fork alignment in general.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

One, get new rear shocks, install new fork seals and which ever fork springs you think you need. For fork oil I would 20 or even 30 wt fork oil. I've always run 30 wt and been very happy with it. Check and service (when was the last time you even looked at them?) your steering head bearings. What about the front and rear wheel bearings? And last but not least, service the swing arm bearings. Isn't 17 lbs of air a bit much? I would think that would cause the fork seals to seep? Oh and might wanna check your wheel balance as well.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
          X