Need to know how hard it is to change axle holder studs on gs1100gk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to know how hard it is to change axle holder studs on gs1100gk

I have a 1982 gs1100gk2 and one of the studs that hold the axle cap on the bottom of the fork is stripped how hard are they to remove and replace.

Are there any threads left on the stud at all? If there are enough threads left to 'double-nut' it (locking one nut hard against the other, and using both, with a deep socket, as a 'bolt head'). Sometimes, possibly one can find 'thin' 8mm nuts to do that. Are the forks still on the bike? Penetrating oils will wick up the threads a little if the forks are still on the bike, if they're off the bike, and upside-down, penetrants will soak in better. If you can do the 'double-nut' trick, if I were doing it, I'd put a little heat on
    the aluminum, almost hot enough to snatch your hand away, let it cool for the expansion/retraction effect, maybe a couple times, and then heat it one more time and put some torque on the stud (loosening direction, of course). 8mm studs, bolts and nuts don't have much more than 10ft-lbs or so, so becareful on the loosening torque so that you don't strip the aluminum threads, opens up another whole can of worms. Just take it a bit at a time, still no guarantees. Good luck!
    sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
    '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
    '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
    '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
    '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
    '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
    '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
    '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
    '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
    '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

easy!
      Heat + Vice grips = success!
      That's only if you can't use the double nut method which is how I remove studs in most cases.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

If you use vice-grips, that's fine, just make sure you clamp them as close to the slider as possible, if you don't, you won't get as straight a twisting
        force.
        sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
        '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
        '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
        '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
        '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
        '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
        '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
        '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
        '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
        '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Working...
        X