A bit over my head, swing arm swap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bit over my head, swing arm swap.

Aye, think I may have bitten off more then I can chew on this swing arm swap. I'm currently attempting to swap out my steel tube swing arm on my 80 GS750E for a the alloy swing arm off a 80 GS110E. Problem is and I was informed of this, the pivot bolt is larger the the 750's. So the bushings in the frame have to be enlarged to fit the larger 1100 pivot bolt. Well it didn't work like I thought. It was suggested that I just drill them out. I did and it didn't work. The hard steel bushings actually bent the bit in the process and things got messed up. So, has anyone else out there tried this swap yet?? If so what did you need to do?
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Why not make measurements and make some phone calls to your local machine shops for the correct size spacer and then buy the correctly sized bearings?

Comment

I believe you need to use the original 750 shaft and make custom bushings

Comment

Uhh..you actually need to drill the FRAME bosses. And you need a bit and drill capable of doing this as well as being damn careful that when you do it it's dead nuts straight from one side to the other or the frame is trash.
        The safer way to go is to have bushes machined for the swingarm bearings that have a smaller ID for the 750 pivot. I hope you haven't ruined your frame...

Comment

What TCK said. You may even be able to utilize your bushings in the new swingarm. I was going to use a '93 GSX-R banana swingarm on my 700 at one time until I got my hands on a Works shock. I would have been able to have my stock bushings shortened to fit the new swingarm and use the stock pivot shaft. I was going to have to take a little off the inside of the frame to squeeze the swingarm in.

Comment

Ugh. okay I'm trouble then. I did drill out the frame bushings and messed up. So I gotta fix it now. One machinist said he could fix it though I would have to take the engine out of the frame so he could rig up the frame in his cnc machine. I bought an extra set of the inner bushings that ride on the swing arm bearings. They are the exact same length and width of the frame bushings. He is thinking of machining the frame bushings out and then install the other bushings and weld them in. The swing arm and all that is still off and all I would have to do is take off the fork and take out the motor. He quoted me a cost of about $200.

As for the swing arm it is fine, all the measurements on it are exactly the same as the steel tube swing arm, so not messing with it at all. Already installed new bearings, races, and new shock mount bushings. Just gotta fix my f**k up. I'm going to post a couple of pics.
            Last edited by mrbill5491; 06-20-2012, 04:15 PM.
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Here is the new bushing, same bushing used in the swing arm.
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

This is the right bushing hole.
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

This is the left bushing hole.
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

And the swing arm.
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

I did this mod and got lucky. The drilling wasn't balls-on but damn close.

Your fix sounds good and should work. Good Luck!

Note to others: Find a machine shop to make new bushings - drilling the frame is risky unless you use some expensive drill gear.
                      -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                        - drilling the frame is risky unless you use some expensive drill gear.
                        I bought a $70 1/2 drill and a $15 bit...was that good lol.

I have a couple other options yet to research. I know this awesome welder who works magic with metal, he wants to see it as well. He thinks he maybe able to plasma torch the old bushing out and go from there.
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

You'll want to be careful with welding to the extent that this is going to require and make sure the guy who's doing the welding understands what he's dealin with. Especially in an area that is geometrically sensitive such as the area you're working in, heating can tweak the frame enough to pull it out of square. Honestly I'd be inclined to perhaps pay a little extra and have the guy fabricate a simple jig to make sure it stays straight.

Comment

Okay, think I've found the best way to deal with my frame swing arm bushings mess up...probably the easiest solution as well. Just get a titled straight frame from a 80-81 GS1100E or GS750E and swap everything over. No screwing with the frame bushings. Maybe some sanding and paint to clean it up, sure beats what I may have to do lol.
                            2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Working...
                            X