81 550L and Sonic Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 550L and Sonic Springs

I have a set of Sonic springs (and Hagons ) coming in the mail for my 550L tomorrow. I have it all disassembled so I can get everything buttoned up after I get home from work. I took off the top caps and the clip, and removed the two springs (small and large) and washer from each fork. Is there supposed to be a stock spacer that comes out along with it? In Basscliff's tutorial he mentions it but doesn't show a picture and looking in the parts fiche for my bike doesn't help much either.

If anyone has used these springs in L forks, how much of a spacer did you end up running? It probably wouldn't need anything in the regular forks but the L ones are longer. I tried searching but I wasn't able to find much info.

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
    I have a set of Sonic springs (and Hagons ) coming in the mail for my 550L tomorrow. I have it all disassembled so I can get everything buttoned up after I get home from work. I took off the top caps and the clip, and removed the two springs (small and large) and washer from each fork. Is there supposed to be a stock spacer that comes out along with it? In Basscliff's tutorial he mentions it but doesn't show a picture and looking in the parts fiche for my bike doesn't help much either.

If anyone has used these springs in L forks, how much of a spacer did you end up running? It probably wouldn't need anything in the regular forks but the L ones are longer. I tried searching but I wasn't able to find much info.
    New springs fit ok? Get it all put together?
    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Is there supposed to be a stock spacer that comes out along with it? In Basscliff's tutorial he mentions it but doesn't show a picture and looking in the parts fiche for my bike doesn't help much either.
      Keep in mind that BassCliff did his tutorial based on his 850, you are working on a 550. Yes, they are different.

If anyone has used these springs in L forks, how much of a spacer did you end up running?
      That might get you in the ballpark, but it's best to measure the "sag" on YOUR bike and make the proper adjustments for YOU.

It probably wouldn't need anything in the regular forks but the L ones are longer. I tried searching but I wasn't able to find much info.
      You can't really make assumptions based on the outer length of the forks.

I have not browsed any of the parts fiche, but it's possible that the damper rod that is insde, at the bottom of the fork, might be longer on the L forks. That could mean that the springs (and any spacers) would be the same, only the damper rods would be different. Just guessing, I don't know for sure.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
      X