Question on shocks and noises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on shocks and noises

I have a squeak and I'm almost positive it's coming from the right rear shock. I can't find anything else in that area that could be doing it and it does it every time the shock gets compressed, so it has to be it.

I sprayed some lubricant in there, didn't help. Is there anything else I can do?

The bike only has 8,000 miles on it, so I'd have to assume the shocks only have 8,000 miles on them....they shouldn't be bad already, right?

Is there something I should try before replacing the shocks? Is there a specific way to tell if they need replaced? The ride is a little bouncy, but it's fine on a nice road.

If they need replaced...anyone have a good suggestion on brands? I don't want anything too crazy or expensive as I'll probably be getting rid of the bike next summer or the following summer.

The stock shocks were dangerous undersprung crap the moment they left the factory 30 years ago. Hagon or Progressive shocks are good replacements.

Anyway, the squeak may be coming from the eye (or clevis -- you haven't specified what sort of bike you are talking about) -- you could try removing the shocks one at a time and putting a light coat of waterpoof grease on the pivot bolts and shock eyes.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

A buddy just put progressives on his 750 and they work fine. Probably the cheapest shock that will be half decent out there. I've just put Hagons on my 1000..WOW, but they're a bit more money. If it's squeaking when compressed maybe the spring is rubbing on the shock? check for rub marks and even if you don't see any turn the springs around a bit and see if it goes away. Also try a different spring setting and see if that changes things. If you're planning on selling the bike next season totally see your point about not wanting to spend the $$ on new shocks if you don't have to. With only 8000 on them those shocks 'should' be ok, but again they are 30 yrs old.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Hi babes.why not swap them and see if the squeek moves....?
        And grease the pins they sit over as they can get dry rust forming and be a bit graunchy iver time...
        Swap shocks...
        adjust dampening....
        Get better shocks...
        weld in a large metal bar instead for a hardtail rat look!!!!!

Good luck.
        Xxx

Comment

Working...
        X