clamping front stainless steel brake line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clamping front stainless steel brake line

I bought a stainless steel brake line to replace my old front rubber brake hose. The stainless hose outside diameter is smaller than the original rubber. Should/can I fit some bushings in the old clamps or should/must buy new clamps? I think there are three used between the master cylinder and caliper. What's the prescription Doc's?

Just take a section of the old hose about 1" long, slit it open and wrap it around the ss hose. If its too thick and won't squish down, wrap the hose with some electrical tape. No need for new clamps.

Cheers,
    Spyug

Comment

Ok- cool- Thanks!

Comment

What about the old "spring" which the hose passed through. Should I reuse it or throw it away? Is it needed/ desirable? What's it's purpose?

Comment

you won't be able to get the springs on (that is if the lines are predone, if your making your own I guess you could use the old springs) not needed anyways, you want to show off the new ss lines.....

Comment

That makes it easier. The spring is rusty and ugly!

Comment

The springs are used to keep the hose from kinking. Not needed with your SS lines. Chuck 'em.

Show us the pretty hoses when you have them on.

Comment

I'm giggling because it was SO EASY! New line is on and system is bled already. No problems! YA HOO!

Brake lever feels great.

Comment

Those lines are black......what am I missing????
                  Plastic coat over the SS perhaps?
                  They look good though. Well done.

Comment

Master cylinder reservoir and master cylinder rebuild or complete replacement will occur soon as well as caliper service. But....I haven't had my first ride yet. Brakes feel perfect. Front pads have been replaced with new ones already. Rotor measures almost new.
                    Rear shoes have been sanded and cleaned and measure almost new. Rear drum measures almost new.
                    I like the extra confidence I have now with the new hose and it looks pretty too!

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                      Those lines are black......what am I missing????
                      Plastic coat over the SS perhaps?
                      They look good though. Well done.
                      Yes it's a plastic coating over the stainless. It keeps from scratching the paint. The dealer offered different colors...red, blue, black and some others. I chose the black to match everything else. An ebay dealer in Canada makes them special order. The line cost about $30 and comes with all new harware (bolts with the holes and the crush washers. I got the hose about a week after placing the order.
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-26-2012, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Ok, same as the stuff we have, was going to get some for Jennifer, until I found out it was twice the price of rubber, so new rubber is what she has got, and even that was 1200 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                          Ok, same as the stuff we have, was going to get some for Jennifer, until I found out it was twice the price of rubber, so new rubber is what she has got, and even that was 1200 bucks.
                          $1200? How many bikes were you putting those gold-trimmed lines on?
                          '83 GS650G
                          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by surviverguy View Post
                            Yes it's a plastic coating over the stainless. It keeps from scratching the paint. The dealer offered different colors...red, blue, black and some others. I chose the black to match everything else. An ebay dealer in Canada makes them special order. The line cost about $30 and comes with all new harware (bolts with the holes and the crush washers. I got the hose about a week after placing the order.
                            did you get them from

SS Brake Lines from Rennsport - http://www.rennsportautoparts.com/

Comment

Yes- Rennsport .....Apex Brakes....perfect...and great service and good pricing. The cost was $34.90 with shipping.
                              Last edited by Guest; 06-26-2012, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X