Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tola View Post

This would be like a 1/2-1hr job for a shop, just a thought-
    Ha yes, then they charge for 3 AND break something as well!!!

Well,.round here they will!!!

I prefer to do it myself, then i know its well and truly done.
    Xxx

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
      hoist ???

how about some 4x4's and 2x4's and then some car jack stands

That's cheating! You don't have a rear fender or tag mount to get in the way.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Tola View Post
        This would be like a 1/2-1hr job for a shop, just a thought-
        Yeah, and around here, the shops charge $70/hr. If they did it in 1/2 hour that might be reasonable. But any longer than that, and I may as well save the money and do it myself.

Plus I was quoted a 1.5 hr job when I called the nearest motorcycle mechanic.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
          That's cheating! You don't have a rear fender or tag mount to get in the way.

Eric
          I thought I saw a rear fender in the picture with wood blocks, but it was just the cover of the snowmobile behind it.

Comment

no cheating,,,,,fender is there......hard to see, shadows and all, but it is there

Comment

Originally posted by bbytes View Post
              Yeah, and around here, the shops charge $70/hr. If they did it in 1/2 hour that might be reasonable. But any longer than that, and I may as well save the money and do it myself.

Plus I was quoted a 1.5 hr job when I called the nearest motorcycle mechanic.
              It's not a hard job and I'm sure you can do it but you started off asking for "a good set of instructions" while stating you own a manual which has very good instructions. There is also the clymer manual which should have been purchased the day you bought the bike. My philosophy is if I'm going to do a job myself and save $100- then that money will go into manuals and tools for the job. After a few times doing this then I'll be ahead. Only way you learn is by doing it, you have all the instructions you need now. Go for it, looking forward to hearing how it works out!

Comment

Unless I am looking in the wrong place, the GS550 manual only tells you how to disassemble the wheel after you have it off. It doesn't talk about the actual removal and install of the wheel. I suppose that would be something any dealer/mechanic should know how to do already.

Comment

Unless I am missing something here, and I have not looked at your specific model or the manual for you bike, it should not be hard at all

lift the rear end off the ground does not need to be very high, 1-3 inches is plenty

loosen the axle nut, and remove the axle, completely, this will allow the wheel to drop to the ground, if you have those chain adjusters don't move the nuts on them leave them as is, all your bushing, chain adjusters will just drop down with the wheel, remove out of the way, push the wheel forward to give you slack in the chain, and take off of the rear sprocket, now you should be able to pull the wheel back and out, perhaps tilt it a bit to clear the caliper, this is more or less how it comes out of my bike, to reinstall, just go in reverse.

is this your manual - http://www.mtsac.edu/%7Ecliff/storag..._77-82_all.pdf

Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2012, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Thanks for that info. Seems easy enough.

And yeah, that's the manual I'm using.

Comment

look at page 181, I believe it tells you the removal procedure there...

and in my removal procedure, once your going to put the tire back, instead of lifting it up with your arms and such,,,to line up with the holes to get the axle back in, just use some wood under the tire to lift it the amount you need, I had mine about 2 inches off of the ground, I then just used a hunk of 2x4 and it was almost at the perfect height, axle bolt practically slid right in...
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2012, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X