Steering Head Bearings '77 GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Head Bearings '77 GS750

Is there a substitute steering bearing like maybe a timken tapered roller for the ball or do I need to go with stock? Can I get these from my local bearing shop or only through a stealer?

Thanks!

Vinnie

I got my bearings from a bearing supplier, looked at the numbers on the old bearings and they got me the same ones from the back.

or get them from Z1 Enterprises, I hear they are cheap there

Comment

Allballs do a tapered bearing set but it requires a mod to the steering head.
      I think Pyramid have a set which goes straight on. Others here will confirm or refute shortly.

Here's the mod.

Last edited by allojohn; 06-27-2012, 02:14 PM.
      -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Hummm....I could do that mod. I'll just have to tear it down and check them out. I am getting a pretty bad low speed wobble when I let go of the bars. Tire pressure is good and in good condition + I want to get better handling. The front shimmies a bit in corners, not bad but I don't want it to get any worse.

Comment

Originally posted by frostbitevinnie View Post
          Hummm....I could do that mod. I'll just have to tear it down and check them out. I am getting a pretty bad low speed wobble when I let go of the bars. Tire pressure is good and in good condition + I want to get better handling. The front shimmies a bit in corners, not bad but I don't want it to get any worse.
          Install tapered bearings and forget about it. It's just one of the many maintenance items your 35 yr old machine is likely in need of. Tick it off the list and move on. The wheel bearings probably need replacing too, they're cheap and easy to install. Good luck.
          -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
            Install tapered bearings and forget about it. It's just one of the many maintenance items your 35 yr old machine is likely in need of. Tick it off the list and move on. The wheel bearings probably need replacing too, they're cheap and easy to install. Good luck.
            Anyone know the various bearing sizes? Also who has done this mod and how did they go about it. I am a machinist and can do it but it would be nice just to relay on past experience. Thanks!
            Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2012, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by frostbitevinnie View Post
              Anyone know the various bearing sizes? Also who has done this mod and how did they go about it. I am a machinist and can do it but it would be nice just to relay on past experience. Thanks!
              PM MisterCinders, I think he recently measured them.
              -Mal

78 GS750E

Comment

Must be mistaken. Wasn't me.

Comment

My '79 didn't need the mod fwiw...maybe '79 was different?

Comment

Originally posted by gearheadE30 View Post
                    My '79 didn't need the mod fwiw...maybe '79 was different?
                    You know....on closer inspection the mod does say "pre 79". That would mean it's not needed on the '79. Right?

Note to self: Learn to read properly.
                    -Mal

78 GS750E

Comment

Working...
                    X