air assisted forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

air assisted forks

Hi guys, I got a pair of GSX750 air assisted forks and was wondering if anyone could tell me how much oil I should put in each fork and what air pressure I should use?
    Thanks in advance.

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. baldybongo,

I can only offer you general suggestions and encourage you to check the manual. Looking at a 16 valve GS750EX manual it says capacity is 191ml, the level is 227mm (this is the more important measurement, must be within 1mm of each other), standard air pressure is 7-8psi. I used to run about 15psi in my air forks until I installed Progressive springs. Now I don't use any air at all.

I want to dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Which GSX750 have you got i.e. what year / model and what country? They're not all the same.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks guys for the terrific welcome The forks I have, have a connected fitting on each fork just above the bottom yoke. When I removed it to get the yokes off I saw a small hole on each fork where the nipple fitted. When I undone them I heard the air come out so I guess I need to refit and put air back in after?
        Hope this makes sense. Just wondering how much air to pump back in.
        Think its an early 80`s Katana?

Comment

Originally posted by baldybongo View Post
          Thanks guys for the terrific welcome The forks I have, have a connected fitting on each fork just above the bottom yoke. When I removed it to get the yokes off I saw a small hole on each fork where the nipple fitted. When I undone them I heard the air come out so I guess I need to refit and put air back in after?
          Hope this makes sense. Just wondering how much air to pump back in.
          Think its an early 80`s Katana?
          If you don't know for a fact what year and model bike they are off of, then it is impossible to know how much oil they require, and what the max pressure rating is.

As far as I know, every GS with air assist forks could run them up to at least 15 psig, some up to 30 psig. Level varies with each model.
          sigpic

SUZUKI:
          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Leading axle? 35 or 37mm?
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Leading axle/ 37mm

Comment

Sounds to me as if they are of a GSX1100. Are there any damper adjusters at the bottom?
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

No adjusters on the bottom, just that fitting on the top? Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                  X