Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YAFQ (yet another fork question)

Hi All,

What is the length of a 1980 GS1100E fork (leading axle, adjustable, air pressure balancer) and the length of a 1980 750L fork (leading axle, no adjustment, no air pressure balancer)? I found a post to a website with a chart but I have since lost track of it.

I am thinking about replacing the pitted forks on my 1980 750L (that I have been unable to sell so far) since cleaning it up might make it more saleable (at least locally since, everyone here hates "L"s).

There are a fairly good looking set of 1980 GS1100E forks on eBay and I think the diameters are the same. I was thinking of picking them up vs waiting for 750L forks to come along since they are fairly clean (slight gouge at the very top but will likely not affect performance or appearance since the clamp should hide it) and because they are adjustable.

Do the adjustments on these forks make a difference or are they a gimmick?

What does the adjustment actually set?

Are there any rebuilding caveats related to the adjuster?

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. 87DaytonaPac,

Pre-load and dampening adjustments make a difference, especially if you are not using 30 year old worn out springs.

The information you seek might be in the manual. You might find the manual on my little website. Let me give you the "mega-welcome".

I want to dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

front fork geometry is listed in the manuals

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll take a look.

EDIT: I looked through both manuals on BikeCliff's site. I didn't see any specs that showed the length. So still in need of those numbers.
        Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2012, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X