Front fork adjustment, 1982 GS650GZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front fork adjustment, 1982 GS650GZ

I recently bought a 1982 Suzuki GS650GZ. I replaced the rear shocks and the clutch cable, but the front forks do not damp at all, which led me to believe that they need pressurization. My shop manual indicates that I am supposed to attach the pump/gauge on a nipple in the top of each fork. The directions are simple, but the photos are blurry. Unfortunately, the manual doesn't mention the nuts that actually reside on top of the forks. I carefully started to loosen the left one, only to hear a breaking sound. I lifted off the now loose nut, to see that under it is another smaller fitting, brass possibly. The top nut screwed down onto the brass nut, housing a little cylinder which seemed to be part of the air valve. The brass is broken off so that the threads are still in the top nut. I was very gentle, but operating beyond the scope of my manual.
    What have I done? When I look on parts websites the fittings on top look a little different from how mine actually is. Have I ruined the forks, or only the fitting? Was I not supposed to loosen the top nut?
    Please be kind, I know this is a very elementary question, but this is the first bike I have worked on, and I don't know anyone who could take a look at it. I can provide pictures if necessary.

First of all,

If your forks are not damping, that means there is no oil in them. You don't need more air (which is a spring), you need OIL.

Unfortunately, the main reason there might not be oil in there is that the seals are leaking. Changing them will require disassembly of the forks for replacement. That would be a perfect time to replace the air fitting that apparently broke when you tried to remove the cap.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
    X